Pulse transformer/DC reactor design.

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a pulse transformer with two secondary coils, one of which acts as a DC reactor. The person is looking for papers, software, or experience in this type of design and is interested in low power, high voltage pulse transformers operating in the audio frequency range. They plan to use the transformers for dc inductive charging and are considering using a flyback transformer. It is suggested to operate at a higher frequency than 22 kilohertz to avoid noise.
hobbs125
Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand the basic design requirements and rules for designing a pulse transformer which includes two secondary coils, one of which acts as a DC reactor.

Does anyone know of any papers or software or have any experience with such a design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is too general.
Do you intend to design pulse transformers as a engineer?
How much time and money do you intend to spend on this project?
Are you interested in big pulse transformers or small pulse transformers?
Are you interested in high voltage or low voltage pulse transformers?
What circuit are you using?

What is a DC reactor on a pulse transformer? Are you talking about a bias winding?

I'm no engineer but I want to learn how to engineer pulse transformers.
I plan to spend 4-6 hundred.
I'm looking to design low power high voltage pulse transformers (less than 50
watts and around 500 volts).
The pulse transformers I want to design will operate in the audio frequency range.
I plan on using the transformers to charge capacitors using dc inductive charging. I figure I can make the circuit more cost effective and efficient if I place the secondary and choke/reactor
coil on the same core.

Last edited:
A flyback transformer is similar to what you are describing.
Would a flyback transformer work in the application you are describing?

If you operate in the audible sound range, the noise will drive everyone crazy. Girls and young women can hear very high frequencies. You should probably operate at a higher frequency than 22 kilohertz.

I am familiar with the design of pulse transformers and DC reactors. The design requirements for these components depend on the specific application and operating conditions. In general, pulse transformers are used to transfer high voltage, short duration pulses between circuits while DC reactors are used to smooth out the ripple current in a DC power supply. The design of these components involves considerations such as core material selection, winding configuration, and insulation requirements.

There are several papers and software tools available for designing pulse transformers and DC reactors. Some popular software options include PSpice, LTSpice, and MATLAB. These tools can help in simulating and optimizing the design parameters for the desired performance. Additionally, there are many research papers available that discuss the design and optimization of pulse transformers and DC reactors for various applications.

In my experience, the key factors to consider when designing a pulse transformer and DC reactor are the desired output voltage and current, frequency of operation, and the type of load being driven. It is also important to consider the core saturation and winding resistance to ensure efficient operation and avoid overheating. I would recommend consulting with experienced engineers and utilizing simulation tools to ensure a successful design.

I hope this helps in your understanding of pulse transformer and DC reactor design. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a pulse transformer?

A pulse transformer is a type of electrical transformer used to transfer electrical energy in the form of pulses. It consists of two or more coils of insulated wire wound around a common magnetic core. It is used to step up or step down the voltage of a pulse signal, while isolating the input and output circuits.

2. What is the purpose of a DC reactor in a transformer?

A DC reactor is used in pulse transformer design to limit the high-frequency current and filter out any unwanted noise or harmonics in the power supply. It also helps to improve the power factor and reduce the voltage ripple in the output signal.

3. How do you calculate the required inductance for a pulse transformer?

The required inductance for a pulse transformer can be calculated using the formula L = V x t / ΔI, where L is the inductance in henrys, V is the input voltage, t is the pulse width, and ΔI is the desired change in current. It is important to consider the core material and winding configuration when calculating the inductance.

4. What are the key parameters to consider in pulse transformer/DC reactor design?

The key parameters to consider in pulse transformer/DC reactor design include the required inductance, core material and geometry, winding configuration, number of turns, and wire gauge. It is also important to consider factors such as frequency, temperature, saturation, and voltage/current ratings.

5. How can I optimize the design of a pulse transformer/DC reactor?

To optimize the design of a pulse transformer/DC reactor, it is important to accurately calculate the required inductance and select the appropriate core material and geometry. Using high-quality materials and minimizing the number of turns can also improve the efficiency of the transformer. Additionally, performing simulations and testing can help fine-tune the design for optimum performance.