Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purpose of CSTRs in series (Continually Stirred Tank Reactor)

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    Hi, I am somewhat new to reactor design and processes, and I am wondering what exactly is the purpose of CSTRs in series. I read somewhere that "when high conversions of reactants are needed, several CSTRs in series can be used", but couldn't one also simply use a large volume CSTR if he/she wanted a larger yield? How does being in series increase conversion of reactants?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2
    No. The difference is that you are not introducing the reactant stream into the downsteam tanks, only into the first tank in the series. Just do a simple model calculation using two tanks in series, with fresh feed introduced only into the first tank, and compare this with what you get using a single larger tank having the same mean residence time as the two tanks. You will get the idea. To keep things simple, just assume a 1st order decomposition reaction with a single species.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook