Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a lawnmower

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    I have a mower with back wheels that move the mower over the lawn (a back wheel drive).
    If I apply foward pressure when the machine is already in motion what is going to happen?
    Assuming that the wheels do not skid can I succeed in accelerating the mower or am I simply stressing the motor ?
    If so ,where?
    (If I simultaneously apply an upward pressure -so that the motor pivots on the 2 front wheels- will this take the stress out of the motor ?)

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

You won't stress the motor, only yourself. The motor has a governor to prevent it from going too fast, and when you push it, it'll reduce the power to the motor to keep the rpm roughly constant.

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    thanks.Well I don't expect you to be a lawnmower expert but perhaps you might be able to explain why it does in fact accelerate quite a bit when I am going down the slope but more or less refuses to respond if I am mowing on the flat.
    Does this damage the mower?

Also would there be any benefit in disabling the governor? (if I could organise it it would be simpler to ask the service man to reinstall the settings that came when I bought it- he changed these because he couldn't understand why the motor was cutting out so much and gave it back to me running slower but ,at least, not cutting out any more.......)

5. May 10, 2010 #4
    DON'T DISABLE THE GOVERNOR! It will overspeed and you will shatter your piston rod within a few minutes. Ask me how I know... a serviceman recently messed up my dad's snowblower and the engine ran away. When he didn't shut it down after about 2 minutes it was done. The piston rod was in about a thousand pieces.

6. May 11, 2010 #5
    thanks.That sounds like irrefutable advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook