Pushing a Lawnmower: Motor Stress or Acceleration?

• Thread starter geordief
  • Start date
In summary: I would not disable the governor on a back wheel drive machine like that either. It just means you'll have to push it a little harder to get it moving.
geordief
I have a mower with back wheels that move the mower over the lawn (a back wheel drive).
If I apply foward pressure when the machine is already in motion what is going to happen?
Assuming that the wheels do not skid can I succeed in accelerating the mower or am I simply stressing the motor ?
If so ,where?
(If I simultaneously apply an upward pressure -so that the motor pivots on the 2 front wheels- will this take the stress out of the motor ?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You won't stress the motor, only yourself. The motor has a governor to prevent it from going too fast, and when you push it, it'll reduce the power to the motor to keep the rpm roughly constant.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF.

You won't stress the motor, only yourself. The motor has a governor to prevent it from going too fast, and when you push it, it'll reduce the power to the motor to keep the rpm roughly constant.
thanks.Well I don't expect you to be a lawnmower expert but perhaps you might be able to explain why it does in fact accelerate quite a bit when I am going down the slope but more or less refuses to respond if I am mowing on the flat.
Does this damage the mower?

Also would there be any benefit in disabling the governor? (if I could organise it it would be simpler to ask the service man to reinstall the settings that came when I bought it- he changed these because he couldn't understand why the motor was cutting out so much and gave it back to me running slower but ,at least, not cutting out any more...)

DON'T DISABLE THE GOVERNOR! It will overspeed and you will shatter your piston rod within a few minutes. Ask me how I know... a serviceman recently messed up my dad's snowblower and the engine ran away. When he didn't shut it down after about 2 minutes it was done. The piston rod was in about a thousand pieces.

Turbodog said:
DON'T DISABLE THE GOVERNOR! It will overspeed and you will shatter your piston rod within a few minutes. Ask me how I know... a serviceman recently messed up my dad's snowblower and the engine ran away. When he didn't shut it down after about 2 minutes it was done. The piston rod was in about a thousand pieces.
thanks.That sounds like irrefutable advice.

1. How does pushing a lawnmower affect the motor?

Pushing a lawnmower can put stress on the motor, as it requires the motor to work harder to power the blades and move the mower forward. This stress can lead to wear and tear on the motor over time.

2. Is pushing a lawnmower considered an acceleration?

Yes, pushing a lawnmower can be considered a form of acceleration. When you push the mower, you are applying a force to move it forward, which can be measured as acceleration.

3. Does pushing a lawnmower at a higher speed put more stress on the motor?

Yes, pushing a lawnmower at a higher speed requires the motor to work harder, which can lead to increased stress on the motor. This can potentially cause damage if the mower is pushed too fast or for extended periods of time.

4. How can I reduce motor stress when pushing a lawnmower?

There are a few ways to reduce motor stress when pushing a lawnmower. First, make sure the mower is properly maintained and has sharp blades to reduce the effort required to cut the grass. Additionally, mow at a steady pace rather than pushing too fast, and take breaks as needed to prevent the motor from overheating.

5. Can pushing a lawnmower with too much resistance damage the motor?

Yes, pushing a lawnmower with too much resistance can potentially damage the motor. This can happen if the mower is being used on very thick or tall grass, or if there are obstacles in the way that require extra effort to push through. It is important to listen to the motor and avoid pushing the mower beyond its capabilities to prevent damage.