Crossing Event Horizon of Black Hole: What Happens?

• Thread starter Ironlenny
  • Start date
In summary, according to the black hole expert, when someone crosses the event horizon, the dimensions of space collapse to a point, and the only direction that they can move in is time. If they are orbiting a black hole above the event horizon and send a probe, it will send telemetry right up to the point that it crosses over.
Ironlenny
You cross the event horizon of a black hole and send that black hole traveling towards a star. When the black hole is in orbit around the star, you (assuming that you can) exit the black hole at the same time as when you entered it. What happens? Is that possible?

From what I understand about black holes, when you have crossed over the event horizon, the dimensions of space collapse to a point, and the only direction that you can move in is time. I asked my self the above questions and I don't know what to make of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ironlenny,
Once something has crossed the event horizon, it can never get out of the black hole. What is happening on the inside is a matter for speculation, since we haven't found any black holes, and even if we did we couldn't interact with the interior.

This is a short answer, but you can use the search menu ( top toolbar) to find other discussions about black holes in this forum.

M

Last edited:
I was under the impression that we have observed phenomenon that behave as we'd expect a black hole to behave. Since they behave like black holes, I believe it's reasonable to assume that they are black holes.

I am curious about your comment on speculation. It seems to imply that a question that can't be answered with our current level of knowledge shouldn't be asked. I want to know how time dilation would effect an object inside the event horizon of a black hole that was accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light. I don't care that it is speculation. I am asking the question for the sake of asking it.

I would also like to point out that you can interact with the interior of a black hole, but you can't send out any information. If you orbit a black hole above the event horizon and send a probe, it will send telemetry right up to the point that it crosses over.

Ironlenny said:
I was under the impression that we have observed phenomena that behave as we'd expect a black hole to behave. Since they behave like black holes, I believe it's reasonable to assume that they are black holes.
Fair enough, but it's not direct evidence.

I am curious about your comment on speculation. It seems to imply that a question that can't be answered with our current level of knowledge shouldn't be asked. I want to know how time dilation would effect an object inside the event horizon of a black hole that was accelerated to a fraction of the speed of light. I don't care that it is speculation. I am asking the question for the sake of asking it.
Why so defensive ? I wasn't criticising your question. I just don't want to take part in speculation.

I would also like to point out that you can interact with the interior of a black hole, but you can't send out any information.
If you can't receive any data from the region, you're not interacting. Maybe 'interacting' is a bad choice of word.

If you orbit a black hole above the event horizon and send a probe, it will send telemetry right up to the point that it crosses over.
(my emphasis).
Which supports my point that we can't know directly what's across the horizon.

Mentz114 said:
Why so defensive ? I wasn't criticising your question. I just don't want to take part in speculation.

I realize that you are trying to help, but I am interested in speculation.

I realize that you are trying to help, but I am interested in speculation.
I'm sure someone will speculate with you in time. Try searching other threads in the meantime.

1. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, where the gravitational pull becomes so strong that not even light can escape. It marks the boundary of the black hole.

2. Can anything survive crossing the event horizon of a black hole?

No, anything that crosses the event horizon of a black hole is inevitably pulled into the singularity at the center of the black hole, where the gravitational pull becomes infinitely strong.

3. How long does it take to cross the event horizon of a black hole?

The time it takes to cross the event horizon of a black hole depends on the size and mass of the black hole. For a small black hole, it could take a fraction of a second, while for a supermassive black hole, it could take years.

4. What happens to time and space when crossing the event horizon of a black hole?

As you approach the event horizon of a black hole, time and space become distorted. This is due to the intense gravitational pull, which causes time to slow down and space to stretch.

5. Is there a way to escape the event horizon of a black hole?

No, once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible to escape. The gravitational pull is too strong for any known force or technology to overcome.