• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Pyramid Theorem

My math teacher handed this out today without explaining, and told us to try and solve it. He gave us the formula to solve the volume of a pyramid (1/3 x area of base x height) and told us to explain WHY it was like that. I already figured out how to explain the surface area of the tetrahedron (he told us to figure out the surface area, without the base, and volume for a square based pyramid first, and then just multiply by two), but I'm a bit stuck on the volume part. He figured this one would stump us since, although we understand how to find a triangle's area, (b x h)/2, we wouldn't understand a pyramid. He also said we should follow the way of Eudoxus who claimed: a pyramid can be approximated to a collection of slabs of reducing size. For example, a square-based pyramid is comparable to pile of square based cuboids. By increasing the number of slabs and reducing their heights, the approximation would improve.

The theorem is v=(Abase x h)/3, where "h" is the perpendicular height.

The proof, or what I think it is, is:
Consider any pyramid, perpendicular height "h" and with area of base "A"

I believe, you then split the pyramid into n layers. Let n be the unknown number of layers and k be the layer you are measuring. So, by similarity the kth layer will have a base with dimension k/n as a fraction of the original base, right? Then the area of the base would be (k/n)squared x A.

The area of the base of each layer will be (1/n)squared x A, (2/n)squared x A,..., (n/n)squared x A.

That's about all I have so far.

I'm not quite sure how that works out; my friend taught me it, so I don't totally understand it. Like what does it mean "by similarity the kth layer will have a base with dimension k/n as a fraction of the original base"?

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not quite sure how that works out; my friend taught me it, so I don't totally understand it. Like what does it mean "by similarity the kth layer will have a base with dimension k/n as a fraction of the original base"?
Consider a triangle for simplicity; the idea is the same.

Draw a triangle. Choose one side to be the base. Halfway between the base and the opposite vertex, draw a line parallel to the base. How long is the line segment on that line that lies inside the triangle? What if I drew this line one third of the way between the base and the opposite vertex?

On an unrelated note -- if you have exceptionally good spatial visualization skills, (or the right objects to play with), you can actually pack three congruent tetrahedra inside a cube.

I do not understand what the point of drawing the triangle with the line is. I wouldn't know how long the line segment is though because the pyramid is to have unknown values.

I can visualize what you mean by the three congruent tetrahedra in a cube though.

I believe, you then split the pyramid into n layers. Let n be the unknown number of layers and k be the layer you are measuring. So, by similarity the kth layer will have a base with dimension k/n as a fraction of the original base, right? Then the area of the base would be (k/n)squared x A.

The area of the base of each layer will be (1/n)squared x A, (2/n)squared x A,..., (n/n)squared x A.

That's about all I have so far.
Now, find the volume of each layer and sum up the volumes. What happens when n is very large (think infinity)?

Umm, you then consider each layer as a prism? So, each will be h/n units tall and the volume of the kth slab would be...er, (h/n) x (k/n)squared x A?

Actually, each layer is a parallelepiped. And yes, the volume would be h/n x (k/n)2 x A.

A parallelepiped?! What's that?

So the volume of the pyramid would be approximately:

V= (h/n)(1/n)squared x A + (h/n)(2/n)squared x A +...+(h/n)(n/n)squared x A.
= (Ah/n cubed)(1squared + 2squared +...+ n squared)?

Correct. Now simplify and take the limit as n goes to infinity.

If I remember correctly, 12 + 22 + ... + n2 = n (n + 1) (2n + 1) / 6. (Google around for "summation formulas".)

If I remember correctly, 12 + 22 + ... + n2 = n (n + 1) (2n + 1) / 6. (Google around for "summation formulas".)
Erm, my friend said it was:12 + 22 + ... + n2 = 1/6n (n + 1) (2n + 1)

But the problem is I have the formula I just don't know how to explain why the formula is the way it is. I just don't get the 1/6 part.

Consider a triangle for simplicity; the idea is the same.

On an unrelated note -- if you have exceptionally good spatial visualization skills, (or the right objects to play with), you can actually pack three congruent tetrahedra inside a cube.
Hurkyl, This got me to thinking since the area of a triangle is 1/2b*h and can be demonstrated by constructing a similar triangle as the original from the left over pieces in the rectangle of dimensions b,h and in an analogous fashion packing three pyramids into a rectanglar solid of dims a,a,h whether by extension such a relation may obtain for higher dimensional spaces of N dims where the enclosed space would be 1/N*a^(n-1)*h.

Erm, my friend said it was:12 + 22 + ... + n2 = 1/6n (n + 1) (2n + 1)
That is exactly the same thing I wrote down. There are ways of deriving this formula but it's a bit tricky if you ask me. Anywho, just use it, simplify and take the limit.

The problem is, my homework requires me to explain the formulas. I understand the rest, just not why there is a 1/6 in the middle of the equation. My teacher requires that we explain why the formula is the way it is; the rest of my class is stumped too...

That's from the derivation of the formula. I'm sure you can find a derivation somewhere after googling a bit.

AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can prove the formula for the sum of the first n squares by induction.

As for deriving the formula for the sum of the squares
1/6n (n + 1) (2n + 1), maybe
my post #4 in this thread here helps.

Mm, I asked my teacher what induction meant. I think I get the theorem now. Thanks a lot, y'all!

But just to make sure, induction is the proof of the nth term and (n+1)th term, right?