How best to photograph the Lyrid meteor shower

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary: I need to take a nap before I go out.In summary, a user is seeking advice on the optimal lens to use for the upcoming Lyrid meteor shower in North America. They are also unsure about the best strategy for capturing the meteors, such as using longer exposure times or more moderate ones. There is also a discussion about balancing ISO and aperture settings and whether to stop the lens down or leave it wide open. It is recommended to get to a dark site for the best results and to not stop the lens down too much or use a low ISO setting, as the meteors may not appear as bright on camera as they do to the naked eye.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm hoping for some advice from those who know better. The Lyrid meteor shower is going to be best viewed here (North America) in the 'wee hours' of April 22 (call it 2 am). Since I'm not a vampire, I'd like to make a plan now in order to prevent making a stupid mistake due to being mostly asleep.

I'm not sure what the optimal lens to use is- I have a choice of three, ranging from moderate telephoto (85mm) to wide angle (24 mm), all about the same maximum f/#. To give a sense of the field of view, 85mm will just fit the entire constellation Orion in the frame, while 24mm will fit about 20% of the sky. I'm not sure how 'big' the meteor shower will be.

I'm also not sure what the best strategy is- longest possible exposure times (say minutes), or more moderate ones? Again, to give a sense of my reality, star trails become noticeable around 1-3s exposure (depending on the lens), and the background light pollution becomes objectionable (using ISO 100) at around 10s (full aperture) or 15 minutes (f/22).

Related to this, in terms of ISO/aperture balancing, should the lens should be stopped down some to minimize aberrations, forcing a higher ISO setting, or leave the lens wide open and use a lower ISO?

Or can I stop the lens down *and* use a low ISO setting because the meteors are so bright?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
@Andy Resnick any new insights regarding this?
Wow... necro post! Other than "there should be clear skies" :), I can add some results from personal experience, for example a more general context of signal-to-background as a function of different focal length. Maybe roll this into the existing astrophotography guide?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Andy Resnick said:
I'm not sure what the optimal lens to use is- I have a choice of three, ranging from moderate telephoto (85mm) to wide angle (24 mm), all about the same maximum f/#. To give a sense of the field of view, 85mm will just fit the entire constellation Orion in the frame, while 24mm will fit about 20% of the sky. I'm not sure how 'big' the meteor shower will be.
24 - 50mm on a full frame camera or conversely 14 - 35mm on a crop sensor to get roughly the same FOV
I nearly always use a 50mm on my Canon 6D full frame DSLR

Andy Resnick said:
I'm also not sure what the best strategy is- longest possible exposure times (say minutes), or more moderate ones? Again, to give a sense of my reality, star trails become noticeable around 1-3s exposure (depending on the lens), and the background light pollution becomes objectionable (using ISO 100) at around 10s (full aperture) or 15 minutes (f/22).

For meteor showers, you really need to make the effort to get to darker skies, else you will miss 90% of them.
I can do 20-25 sec using a 24mm lens on the FF 6D. with an ISO of around 500 - 800 and fully open aperture
ie ... as open as the lens will do ... my 24 - 105 lens is f/4 across its range. The 14mm is f/2.8 ... gives a much
wider FOV but it's harder to see anything but the brightest meteors with such a wide FOV.
Anyway ...it's all academic, you can crop the image in post to remove any outer edge field aberrations.

If you are going to do multi minutes and untracked, then you don't care about the star trails, rather just
capturing as many as possible. ... and no don't do f/22 ... you are shutting out too much light

Andy Resnick said:
Related to this, in terms of ISO/aperture balancing, should the lens should be stopped down some to minimize aberrations, forcing a higher ISO setting, or leave the lens wide open and use a lower ISO?

If you are using a fast lens say f/1.8, you really don't need to stop it down any more than around one stop say f/2.8

I will repeat this again in bold letters

GET TO A DARK SITE ! you are pretty much wasting your time if you don't
Andy Resnick said:
Or can I stop the lens down *and* use a low ISO setting because the meteors are so bright?

no, no and no ... seriously, they won't look anywhere near as bright on camera as you see them with your eye
I have always be very surprised when I looked through my images to see how faint they looked compared to
how I saw them by eye ... many just didn't even show up on camera and I am thinking ... WTH ... I know
I should have captured those ones, they were in the camera FOV !Dave

1. How can I prepare for photographing the Lyrid meteor shower?

To prepare for photographing the Lyrid meteor shower, it is important to research the location and time of the shower. Choose a dark and clear location away from city lights and set up your equipment beforehand. It is also recommended to use a tripod and a remote shutter release to reduce camera shake.

2. What camera settings should I use to capture the Lyrid meteor shower?

The ideal camera settings for photographing the Lyrid meteor shower include a wide aperture (f/2.8 or lower), a high ISO (1600 or higher), and a long exposure time (20-30 seconds). Experiment with different settings until you find the best combination for your specific camera and location.

3. Do I need any special equipment to photograph the Lyrid meteor shower?

While not necessary, a DSLR camera, tripod, and remote shutter release can greatly improve your chances of capturing stunning photos of the Lyrid meteor shower. You may also want to consider using a wide-angle lens to capture a larger portion of the sky.

4. What is the best time to photograph the Lyrid meteor shower?

The best time to photograph the Lyrid meteor shower is during its peak, which usually occurs in late April. However, the shower can be visible for a few days before and after the peak, so be sure to check the specific dates for the current year.

5. How can I ensure I capture the meteors in my photos?

To increase your chances of capturing meteors in your photos, it is important to have a clear view of the sky and to take multiple photos throughout the night. The more photos you take, the higher the probability of capturing a meteor. It is also helpful to have a remote shutter release to minimize camera movement between shots.