How can I prove the solution for this problem involving integration?

• Thread starter ReyChiquito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that the solution to the problem \ddot{y}+g(t,y)=0 can be expressed in the form y(t)=y_{0}+tz_{0}-\int_{0}^{t}(t-s)g(s,y(s))ds. It is suggested to use a change of variables or Fubini's theorem to switch the order of integration in the domain of integration, which is a triangle in the (s,tau) plane. The book explains how this switch can be done and the person seeking help realizes they need to review their calculus notes.
ReyChiquito
Im trying to understand a "simple" identity.

I have the problem [tex]\ddot{y}+g(t,y)=0[/tex]
with [tex]y(0)=y_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{y}(0)=z_{0}[/tex]

What i need to prove is that the solution can be expresed in the form
[tex]y(t)=y_{0}+tz_{0}-\int_{0}^{t}(t-s)g(s,y(s))ds[/tex]

Integrating twice is clear that
[tex]y(t)=y_{0}+tz_{0}-\int_{0}^{t}\{\int_{0}^{s}g(\tau,y(\tau))d\tau\}ds[/tex]

Now the book goes
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}\{\int_{0}^{s}g(\tau,y(\tau))d\tau\}ds=\int_{0}^{t}\{\int_{\tau}^{t}ds\}g(\tau,y(\tau))d\tau[/tex]

? How do i prove that? should i do a change of variable? use fubini?

Im lost, pls help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not any change of variables. If you look at the domain of integration in the (s,tau) plane, you will see it is a triangle. All the book is describing is how the triangle is expressed when you switch the order of integration. Fubini's theorem says you can do the switch.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh... i know i should have named the tread "stupid Q about integration".
Thx a lot dood. I sure need to review my calc notes.

FAQ: How can I prove the solution for this problem involving integration?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is a process of calculating the accumulation of quantities or values, such as distance, velocity, or volume, over a given interval.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. It allows us to solve complex problems and make predictions by analyzing and understanding the relationship between variables.

3. What are the different types of integration?

The two main types of integration are indefinite and definite integration. Indefinite integration involves finding a general solution to an integral, while definite integration involves finding the specific value of an integral over a given interval.

4. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, while differentiation involves finding the slope of a curve. They are used to solve different problems and are often used in conjunction with each other.

5. What are some applications of integration?

Integration has numerous applications in various fields, such as calculating work and energy in physics, determining profit and loss in economics, and analyzing population growth in biology. It is also used in engineering to design and optimize structures and systems.

Back