Q3.10: Power Calculation w/ Reduction Gear

In summary, the conversation is about a question (3.10) that involves calculating power using the equation Power = torque * angular velocity. The person has been able to calculate the first answer but is struggling with the second and third answers. They ask for help and are told to use the same expression as the first answer, with the torque and angular velocity given. The significance of the third part is that it shows the gearbox needs cooling.
Suman_babai

Homework Statement

: [/B]
Qstn no. 3.10 in the attached image.

upload_2016-12-20_8-9-45.png

[ Moderator note: Copy of relevant portion of attachment inserted to make it visible here]

Homework Equations

: For power calculation, [/B]
Power = torque * angular velocity... Also, reduction gear is used to deliver lower outout speed at samd torque.

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]
I hav tried the above equations and also correctly calculated the 1st ans(2nd attachment) but I can't calculate the 2nd and 3rd ans... I hv approached the second one but ans is not matching.. pls help... also please explain it.. as i am very weak in it...

Attachments

• 1482219135110-834241603.jpg
    1482219135110-834241603.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 1482220028136-2067728740.jpg
    1482220028136-2067728740.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Suman, :welcome:

why not use the same expression for b) as you use for a) ? You have ##\tau## and you have ## \omega## !

BvU said:

why not use the same expression for b) as you use for a) ? You have ##\tau## and you have ## \omega## !

Yes.. but.. what is the value uf torque here ?
BvU said:

Yes I know. But how can I get the torque? If it is the resisting torque of water, then where goes the torque given by the turbine shaft ? Or will it be the difference between the above mentioned torques ?

Suman_babai said:
If it is the resisting torque of water
For want of better you could start with that assumption ...
Suman_babai said:
where goes the torque given by the turbine shaft
That is a nice subject for part (c) :rolleyes:

BvU said:
For want of better you could start with that assumption ...
That is a nice subject for part (c) :rolleyes:

Ok I get the 2nd prt... and also the 3rd prt... thnks a lot.. but what is the significance of the 3rd part?

It's a giveaway: subtract 14.235 from 15. Too easy ! But it shows the gearbox needs cooling :smile:

BvU said:
It's a giveaway: subtract 14.235 from 15. Too easy ! But it shows the gearbox needs cooling :smile:
Yes I know the mathematical prt. I jst wanted to know to know its significance... thank you very very much.

Related to Q3.10: Power Calculation w/ Reduction Gear

1. What is a reduction gear?

A reduction gear is a mechanical device that reduces the speed and increases the torque of a motor or engine. This is achieved by using multiple gears of different sizes to transfer power from the input to the output shaft.

2. Why is power calculation important in reduction gears?

Power calculation is important in reduction gears because it allows us to determine the amount of power that can be transferred from the input to the output shaft. This helps in selecting the appropriate gear ratio and determining the efficiency of the gear system.

3. How is power calculated in reduction gears?

Power in reduction gears is calculated using the formula: Power = Torque x Speed. This means that the power output is directly proportional to the torque and speed of the output shaft. However, it is important to consider the efficiency of the gear system when calculating power.

4. What factors affect the power calculation in reduction gears?

The power calculation in reduction gears is affected by several factors, including the gear ratio, efficiency of the gear system, input power, and speed of the input and output shafts. Other factors such as friction and load on the output shaft can also affect the power calculation.

5. How can power loss be minimized in reduction gears?

Power loss in reduction gears can be minimized by using high-quality gears and lubricants, reducing friction through proper alignment and maintenance, and choosing the right gear ratio for the desired application. Regular inspections and replacements of worn out gears can also help in minimizing power loss.