Quantum Chemistry vs Physics: A Student's Dilemma

In summary, quantum chemistry and quantum physics are closely related, with quantum physics forming the basis for quantum chemistry. If you did not enjoy quantum chemistry, it may not be a good indicator for liking physics since they cover similar topics.
mccoy1
What's the different between quantum chemistry and quantum physics? I did quantum chemistry as elective in second year but I didn't like it. I didn't like the chemistry as a whole though because it's too hard(thousands of reactions that you have to remember in each branch!). I want to switch programs and go for physics. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
mccoy1 said:
What's the different between quantum chemistry and quantum physics? I did quantum chemistry as elective in second year but I didn't like it. I didn't like the chemistry as a whole though because it's too hard(thousands of reactions that you have to remember in each branch!). I want to switch programs and go for physics. What do you guys think?

Kind of like asking what the difference is between fluid dynamics and classical physics. The latter forms the basis of the former, which is an area of application of that area of physics. You need to understand quantum physics to do quantum chemistry.

Now, you're a bit unspecific about what you didn't like about quantum chemistry. And I have of course no idea what they tried to teach you or how. (But I''d assume that particular course didn't include any rote learning of chemical reactions!) If it was a second-year undergrad course, I'm thinking it really covered just the basics of QM, mostly? Did you get as far as deriving the Hartree-Fock approximation?

But I'd have to say if you didn't like quantum chemistry, for whatever reason, it's not a very good sign for physics, since it's to a large part the exact same stuff, only 'more of it', applied to other things.

I understand your dilemma between choosing quantum chemistry and quantum physics. While both fields involve the study of quantum mechanics, they have distinct focuses and applications.

Quantum chemistry primarily deals with the behavior and interactions of atoms and molecules at a microscopic level. It is heavily rooted in the principles of chemistry, such as bonding, structure, and reactivity. On the other hand, quantum physics focuses on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and their applications to various systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

In terms of the difficulty, both fields require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and a significant amount of memorization. However, in quantum chemistry, the memorization is more focused on chemical reactions and their mechanisms, while in quantum physics, it is more centered on mathematical equations and theories.

If you did not enjoy quantum chemistry, it is understandable that you may want to switch to physics. However, I would recommend exploring both fields further to see which one aligns more with your interests and career goals. It may also be helpful to speak with professors or professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of their applications and job opportunities.

In the end, the decision ultimately depends on your personal preferences and strengths. Both quantum chemistry and quantum physics are fascinating and important fields of study, and I encourage you to pursue the one that you are most passionate about.

1. What is the difference between quantum chemistry and physics?

Quantum chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules at the quantum level, while physics is a branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. Quantum chemistry uses principles from physics, such as quantum mechanics, to explain chemical phenomena.

2. Is quantum chemistry more difficult than physics?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's understanding and interest in each subject. Both quantum chemistry and physics can be complex and challenging, but they require different types of thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Can you give an example of how quantum chemistry and physics are related?

One example is the concept of electron orbitals, which are used in both quantum chemistry and physics to describe the behavior of electrons in an atom. Quantum chemistry uses these orbitals to explain the properties of molecules, while physics uses them to understand the behavior of electrons in an atom.

4. Are there any overlapping concepts between quantum chemistry and physics?

Yes, there are many overlapping concepts between quantum chemistry and physics. Some examples include quantum states, energy levels, and wave-particle duality.

5. Which subject should I study if I am interested in both quantum chemistry and physics?

If you are interested in both subjects, it is recommended to study both quantum chemistry and physics to gain a deeper understanding of how they are related. Many universities offer joint programs that combine both subjects, allowing students to explore their interests in both areas.