How do I find the hermitian conjugate of this expression?

In summary, Guillaume needs to find the hermitian conjugate of the expression $\delta \chi = \epsilon F + \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast$ which is equivalent to $\delta \chi^\dagger = \epsilon^\dagger F^\ast + \epsilon^T \sigma^2 \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi^\ast$.
gdumont
Hi,

I'm trying to do problem 3.5 of Peskin & Schroeder and I don't know where to start.

First of all,

I need to get the hermitian conjugate of the following expression

[tex]\delta \chi = \epsilon F + \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a 2 component-spinor of grassmann numbers, F a complex scalar field [itex]\sigma^\mu = (I,\sigma^i)[/itex] for [itex]i=1,...,3[/itex] and the [itex]\sigma^i[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, [itex]\phi[/itex] is a complex scalar field.

I think the hermitian conjugate would be something like

[tex]\delta \chi^\dagger = \epsilon^\dagger F^\ast + \epsilon^T \sigma^2 \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi^\ast[/tex]

Am I right?

Thanks

Guillaume

Moderator note: I took the liberty of editing in your LaTeX tags.

-TM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to, I did this problem and you can find it on my homepage (but that's a spoiler of course).

Also, you can use LaTeX here, you just need to surround your LateX with the instuctions tex (between square brackets) and /tex (also between square brackets). It will be much more readable that way!

I had a look at your solution and there is something I don't understand. At the end of the first page you wrote
[tex]
$ i \chi^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu (\partial_\nu \partial_\mu \phi ) \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast = i\epsilon^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^\ast (\partial^\mu \partial_\mu \phi)$
[/tex]
This seems to imply that [tex]$ \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu = g^{\mu \nu}$
[/tex]!?
I tought that
[tex]
$\{ \bar{\sigma}^\mu, \sigma^\nu \} = g^{\mu \nu}$
[/tex]
where the brackets denote the anticommutator. Am I wrong?

P.S. The command \bar{\sigma} doesn't seem to work in the brackets... sorry about that.

Last edited:
gdumont said:
I had a look at your solution and there is something I don't understand. At the end of the first page you wrote
[tex]
$i\chi^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu (\partial_\nu \partial_\mu \phi ) \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast = i\epsilon^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^\ast (\partial^\mu \partial_\mu \phi)$
[/tex]
This seems to imply that [tex]$ \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu = g^{\mu \nu}$
[/tex]!?
I tought that
[tex]
$\{ \bar{\sigma}^\mu, \sigma^\nu \} = g^{\mu \nu}$
[/tex]
where the brackets denote the anticommutator. Am I wrong?
A quick reply:
I didn't check (did this long ago !) it completely, but as [tex]\mu,\nu[/tex] are summed with the partial derivatives, that symmetrises the expression, no ?

gdumont said:
Hi,
I'm trying to do problem 3.5 of Peskin & Schroeder and I don't know where to start.
First of all,
I need to get the hermitian conjugate of the following expression
[tex]\delta \chi = \epsilon F + \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a 2 component-spinor of grassmann numbers, F a complex scalar field [itex]\sigma^\mu = (I,\sigma^i)[/itex] for [itex]i=1,...,3[/itex] and the [itex]\sigma^i[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, [itex]\phi[/itex] is a complex scalar field.
I think the hermitian conjugate would be something like
[tex]\delta \chi^\dagger = \epsilon^\dagger F^\ast + \epsilon^T \sigma^2 \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi^\ast[/tex]
Am I right?
Thanks
Guillaume
Moderator note: I took the liberty of editing in your LaTeX tags.
-TM

It looks okay. The Pauli matrices are hermitean (they form a basis in [itex] \mbox{su(2)} [/itex], up to a 1/2 ) and involution on the Grassmann algebra goes, under hermitean conjugation (seen as simultaneous involution and transposing), into transposing.

I don't know how Vanesch came up with a second space-time derivative...

Daniel.

I have a very similar question:
I want to find the hermitian conjugate of
[tex] \epsilon \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi [/tex]
where psi and epsilon are 2 component spinors of grassmann variables.
In that case I think the hermitian conjugate should be:
[tex] -\partial_\mu \psi^\dagger \sigma^\mu \epsilon^\dagger [/tex]
My main concern is whether a minus sign arises in a hermitian conjugate when commuting the epsilon past the psi.

I realized that there is a mistake in the last post as the psi inthe first expression should be a (psi)^dagger and a psi in the second however my question remains.

If the Grassmann parity of the the spinors is 1, then they anticommute, so the "-" sign occurs.

Actually I think that even when they anticommute there should not be a - sign, as when taking the hermitian conjugate we are not commuting them but using the definition of the hermitian conjugate so I would say
[tex] (\epsilon \psi)^\dagger = \psi^\dagger \epsilon^\dagger [/tex]
but please correct me if I am wrong

1. What is the QFT Supersymmetry problem?

The QFT Supersymmetry problem is a theoretical issue in physics that arises from trying to reconcile the principles of quantum field theory (QFT) and supersymmetry. Supersymmetry is a proposed symmetry between bosons and fermions, which are two types of fundamental particles. However, this symmetry has not been observed in experiments, leading to the question of why it is not manifest in the physical world.

2. Why is the QFT Supersymmetry problem important?

The QFT Supersymmetry problem is important because it is a fundamental issue in theoretical physics that has implications for our understanding of the universe. If supersymmetry is not observed in nature, it would challenge some of the current theories and models that rely on it, such as the Standard Model of particle physics and theories of dark matter.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the QFT Supersymmetry problem?

One proposed solution is that supersymmetry is broken at higher energy levels and is only manifest at energies that are currently out of reach for experiments. Another solution is that supersymmetry may not be a fundamental symmetry of the universe, but rather an emergent one. Some physicists also suggest that supersymmetry may not be the correct solution to certain problems in physics, and other theories such as string theory may provide a more comprehensive explanation.

4. Are there any experimental efforts to address the QFT Supersymmetry problem?

Yes, there are several ongoing experimental efforts to search for evidence of supersymmetry. These include experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and other particle accelerators, as well as indirect searches through astrophysical observations. However, so far, no conclusive evidence of supersymmetry has been found.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the QFT Supersymmetry problem?

If a solution to the QFT Supersymmetry problem is found, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It could also lead to new predictions and avenues for further research in particle physics and cosmology. Additionally, it could have practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine, as many theories that rely on supersymmetry have potential real-world applications.