1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT Supersymmetry problem

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to do problem 3.5 of Peskin & Schroeder and I don't know where to start.

First of all,

I need to get the hermitian conjugate of the following expression

[tex]\delta \chi = \epsilon F + \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a 2 component-spinor of grassmann numbers, F a complex scalar field [itex]\sigma^\mu = (I,\sigma^i)[/itex] for [itex]i=1,...,3[/itex] and the [itex]\sigma^i[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, [itex]\phi[/itex] is a complex scalar field.

I think the hermitian conjugate would be something like

[tex]\delta \chi^\dagger = \epsilon^\dagger F^\ast + \epsilon^T \sigma^2 \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \phi^\ast[/tex]

Am I right?

Thanks

Guillaume

Moderator note: I took the liberty of editing in your LaTeX tags.

-TM

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to, I did this problem and you can find it on my homepage (but that's a spoiler of course).

Also, you can use LaTeX here, you just need to surround your LateX with the instuctions tex (between square brackets) and /tex (also between square brackets). It will be much more readable that way!

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    I had a look at your solution and there is something I don't understand. At the end of the first page you wrote
    [tex]
    $ i \chi^\dagger \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu (\partial_\nu \partial_\mu \phi ) \sigma^2 \epsilon^\ast = i\epsilon^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^\ast (\partial^\mu \partial_\mu \phi)$
    [/tex]
    This seems to imply that [tex]$ \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu = g^{\mu \nu}$
    [/tex]!?
    I tought that
    [tex]
    $\{ \bar{\sigma}^\mu, \sigma^\nu \} = g^{\mu \nu}$
    [/tex]
    where the brackets denote the anticommutator. Am I wrong?

P.S. The command \bar{\sigma} doesn't seem to work in the brackets.... sorry about that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A quick reply:
    I didn't check (did this long ago !) it completely, but as [tex]\mu,\nu[/tex] are summed with the partial derivatives, that symmetrises the expression, no ?

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks okay. The Pauli matrices are hermitean (they form a basis in [itex] \mbox{su(2)} [/itex], up to a 1/2 ) and involution on the Grassmann algebra goes, under hermitean conjugation (seen as simultaneous involution and transposing), into transposing.

I dunno how Vanesch came up with a second space-time derivative...

Daniel.

7. Feb 20, 2007 #6
    I have a very similar question:
    I want to find the hermitian conjugate of
    [tex] \epsilon \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi [/tex]
    where psi and epsilon are 2 component spinors of grassmann variables.
    In that case I think the hermitian conjugate should be:
    [tex] -\partial_\mu \psi^\dagger \sigma^\mu \epsilon^\dagger [/tex]
    My main concern is whether a minus sign arises in a hermitian conjugate when commuting the epsilon past the psi.

8. Feb 20, 2007 #7
    I realized that there is a mistake in the last post as the psi inthe first expression should be a (psi)^dagger and a psi in the second however my question remains.

9. Feb 21, 2007 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the Grassmann parity of the the spinors is 1, then they anticommute, so the "-" sign occurs.

10. Feb 21, 2007 #9
    Actually I think that even when they anticommute there should not be a - sign, as when taking the hermitian conjugate we are not commuting them but using the definition of the hermitian conjugate so I would say
    [tex] (\epsilon \psi)^\dagger = \psi^\dagger \epsilon^\dagger [/tex]
    but please correct me if I am wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?