QM - complement for Griffiths

In summary, the conversation was about learning quantum physics using David J. Griffiths' textbook, specifically struggling with chapters 4 and 5. The topic of these chapters includes quantum mechanics in three dimensions and identical particles. The person is looking for a textbook that provides more guidance in solving PDE's and is looking for tips or recommendations for complementary textbooks. A suggestion was made to work through problems in chapters 6, 7, and 8 of Zettilli's book, and also recommended Molecular Quantum Mechanics by Atkins.
Avatrin
Hi
I am currently trying to learn quantum physics using David J. Griffiths textbook. However, in chapter 4 and 5 he lost me a little. I would prefer a textbooks that handholds me through solving the PDE's rather than just giving me the solutions.
The topic of these chapters are:
QM in three dimensions (Schrodinger equation in spherical coordinates, the hydrogen atom, angular momentum, spin)
Identical particles (two particle system, atoms, solids, quantum statistical mechanics )

any tips? Maybe a mathematics or physics textbook to complement this?

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470026790/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You won't need anything else. If you work through all the problems in chapters 6,7, and 8 of Zettilli, you will know separation of variables and Frobenius' method for Schrodinger's equation, angular momentum/CG coefficients, and identical particles like the back of your hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 2 people
I actually used Molecular Quantum Mechanics by Atkins as the backup. I liked it so much that soon Griffiths became the backup. :D

I'd recommend you to go through McQuarrie's or Atkins' books even though they aren't for proper physics grads.

Likes 1 person

What is QM complement for Griffiths?

QM complement for Griffiths is a mathematical framework that extends the traditional quantum mechanics formalism developed by David J. Griffiths. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum phenomena and provides a bridge between classical and quantum mechanics.

How is QM complement for Griffiths different from traditional quantum mechanics?

Unlike traditional quantum mechanics, QM complement for Griffiths does not rely on the concept of wavefunctions or operators. Instead, it uses a geometrical approach to represent quantum states and observables, making it easier to visualize and interpret quantum phenomena.

What are the main advantages of QM complement for Griffiths?

One of the main advantages of QM complement for Griffiths is its ability to provide a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics. It also allows for a smooth transition from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics, making it easier for students and researchers to grasp complex concepts.

Are there any limitations to QM complement for Griffiths?

Like any other mathematical framework, QM complement for Griffiths has its limitations. It is primarily designed for non-relativistic systems and does not take into account the effects of gravity. It also requires a solid foundation in traditional quantum mechanics to fully understand its concepts and applications.

How is QM complement for Griffiths used in research and practical applications?

QM complement for Griffiths has been used in various research fields such as quantum information theory, quantum computing, and quantum optics. It has also been applied in practical applications, including the development of quantum algorithms and quantum sensors.