[QM] Conservation probability to degenerate eigenvalues

In summary, the conservation of probability in quantum mechanics states that the probability of a measurement of a given observable is preserved in time if the observable commutes with the Hamiltonian. This holds true even in the case of degenerate eigenvalues. However, in a general linear combination of eigenstates, the probability may change over time.
Saverio
Hello =) I have a question regarding the conservation of probability in quantum mechanics.

We know that the probability of a measurement of a given observable, is preserved in time if the observable commutes with the Hamiltonian.
But this is also true if the value of the measurement rapresented by the eigenvalues is degenerate?

For example, if I have the observable ## \Omega ## which commutes with the Hamiltonian, and suppose that the system state is a linear combination of eigenstates of H and hence of ## \Omega ##, and I want to know the probability that a measurement give me a value of ## \omega_1 ## at any time

##P (\omega_1, t) = | <\omega_1 | Psi, t> | ^ 2 = | <\omega_1 | e ^ {- i / h H} | \Psi, 0> | ^ 2 = | e ^ {- i / h E_1} c_ {1, t = 0} |^ 2 = ##

##= e^ {i / h E_1} \tilde{c} _ {1, t = 0} e^ {- i / h E_1} c_ {1, t = 0} = \tilde {c} _ {1, t = 0 c_ {1}, t = 0} = P (\omega_1, t = 0) ##

but in the degenerate case that is the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Is the angular momentum eigenvalue of the H-atom conserved in time when the H-atom's bound state evolves according to SE ?

A general linear combination of eigenstates is itself not an eigenstate.

1. What is conservation of probability in the context of quantum mechanics?

Conservation of probability refers to the fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that the total probability of all possible outcomes of a quantum system must always equal to 1. This ensures that the laws of probability are preserved in the quantum world, even though the behavior of individual particles may seem random.

2. What does it mean for eigenvalues to degenerate in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, degenerate eigenvalues refer to multiple eigenvalues representing the same energy level for a given quantum system. This means that there are different states of the system with the same energy, making it impossible to determine the exact state of the system based on its energy alone.

3. How is conservation of probability related to degenerate eigenvalues?

Conservation of probability is closely related to degenerate eigenvalues because the principle ensures that the total probability of all possible energy states must still equal to 1, even if some of those states are degenerate. This means that the probabilities of all degenerate states must add up to 1, while still obeying the principle of conservation of probability.

4. Can degenerate eigenvalues be avoided in quantum systems?

No, degenerate eigenvalues are a natural consequence of the laws of quantum mechanics and cannot be avoided. This is because the energy of a quantum system is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values, and multiple energy states can correspond to the same eigenvalue.

5. How do scientists deal with degenerate eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

There are various mathematical techniques and tools that scientists use to handle degenerate eigenvalues in quantum mechanics. One approach is to use perturbation theory, which allows for small corrections to be made to the eigenvalues to account for degeneracy. Another method is to introduce a small external perturbation to the system, which can lift the degeneracy and make the eigenvalues distinct.