Exploring the Limitations of QM Interpretations in Fiction

In summary, the novel's main plot device depended on the Many Worlds interpretation as well as Observer-Created Reality. The author seemed to promote their interpretation over other possible interpretations, and the reader is left to decide which is true. There is no scientific proof to differentiate one interpretation from another. The Measurement Problem remains unanswered, and it is up to the reader to decide what is really happening.
sandy stone
I recently finished reading a current novel whose main plot device depended on the Many Worlds interpretation as well as Observer-Created Reality. I wasn't too put off because every science fiction - type story is allowed a certain degree of temporary suspension of disbelief. As I plowed on, though, it seemed more and more as if the authors were actually promoting their particular interpretation(s); one of the main characters, a physicist, spent pages and pages throughout the book expositing that mathematics and experiment proved that MW and OCR were the one true interpretation, and anyone who thought otherwise was deluded and reactionary. I wondered how convincing this might be to a reader without any previous knowledge of QM, and actually began preparing counter-arguments in my head.

According to what I understand as a layperson, at it's heart QM is a mathematical tool for predicting the results of experiments involving objects too small for us to directly experience, so more or less for relating different instrument readings. A century of more of experiments have given rise to a very consistent picture of entities that we label atoms, nucleons, quarks, leptons, etc. In other words, nature provides us with instrument readings as if these objects "actually exist." As far as I am aware, the closest we have come to "really seeing" submicroscopic objects is with STM experiments. (Sorry for the scare quotes).

While performing an amazingly accurate job of predicting experimental results, QM says absolutely nothing about what is going on under the hood to cause those observations; there are untold numbers of different interpretations attempting to explain what we see, each trying to preserve a different element of our macro-world experience that their promoters hold most dear. However, there is no mathematical or experimental proof that can differentiate one from another, prove one is true, or disprove the others. Some philosophical questions, notably the Measurement Problem, cause the largest part of the discussion, and remain unanswered. Deciding what is really going on is only a matter of taste at this point.

So, that would be the basis of my (imaginary) rebuttal to the authors. Does it seem reasonable at a B-level?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Your synopsis is better than ChatGPT!

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. What is the concept of QM interpretations in fiction?

Quantum mechanics (QM) interpretations in fiction refer to the use of quantum physics concepts in fictional works such as books, movies, and TV shows. These interpretations often involve the use of quantum mechanics to explain or enhance the plot, characters, or themes of the story.

2. How accurate are QM interpretations in fiction?

The accuracy of QM interpretations in fiction varies greatly. While some works may use accurate scientific concepts and theories, others may take creative liberties and exaggerate or misrepresent these concepts for the sake of the story. It is important to remember that QM interpretations in fiction should not be taken as scientific fact, but rather as imaginative storytelling devices.

3. Can QM interpretations in fiction influence public understanding of quantum mechanics?

Yes, QM interpretations in fiction can have an impact on public understanding of quantum mechanics. However, it is important to note that these interpretations should not be taken as scientific fact, and may not accurately reflect the real-world applications and principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any examples of QM interpretations in popular fiction?

There are many examples of QM interpretations in popular fiction, including the use of parallel universes in the TV show "Fringe", the concept of collapsing wave functions in the movie "Interstellar", and the idea of quantum entanglement in the book "The Three-Body Problem". These interpretations often add an element of mystery, intrigue, or fantastical elements to the story.

5. How can QM interpretations in fiction benefit the field of science?

While QM interpretations in fiction may not always accurately represent scientific concepts, they can still spark interest and curiosity in quantum mechanics. This can lead to increased public awareness and interest in the field, which in turn can potentially attract more students and researchers to the field of quantum mechanics.