Eigenvalues/Eigenstates of Spin Operator S in xz Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the spin operator S of an electron in the xz plane, with a unit vector n. The equations presented show that there may be a discrepancy in the notation of the quantum number m, with one equation using integers and the other using half-integers. The reason for this difference is unclear.
rsaad

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the spin operator S of an electron in the direction
of a unit vector n; assume that n lies in the xz plane.

Homework Equations

S|m>= h m|m>

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is from Zettili QM and they have written:

n.S|m>= (h/2) m|m>

I do not understand why are they taking a half.
If I take m=1/2 in S|m>= (h/2) m|m>, I get h/4 but the answer should be h/2, by using S|m>= h m|m>.
So where am i going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
m is the quantum number. you need to check its definition

Of course it is a quantum number but why is there a half?

It's probably just a typo. It doesn't really matter, though. It just means the quantum numbers are ##\pm1## instead of ##\pm 1/2##.

I see now. The notation in the two equations is not consistent.
S|m>= h m|m>
n.S|m>= (h/2) m|m>
In the second equation, m is a 'quantum number' (i.e. integer), while in the first equation I guess you could interpret m as the value of the projection of angular momentum, in natural units.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, specifically in the xz plane. Eigenvalues represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of a particle's spin in the xz plane, while eigenstates are the corresponding states that the particle can exist in.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane related?

The eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane are related through the mathematical equation S|ψ⟩=s|ψ⟩, where S is the spin operator, |ψ⟩ is the eigenstate, and s is the corresponding eigenvalue. This equation shows that the spin operator acting on an eigenstate results in the same eigenstate multiplied by its eigenvalue.

3. What is the physical significance of eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane?

The physical significance of eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane lies in their ability to predict the outcomes of spin measurements in the xz plane. The eigenvalues represent the possible results of a measurement, while the eigenstates represent the corresponding states that the particle can exist in.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane are calculated using mathematical techniques, such as diagonalization, to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the spin operator. These calculations can be complex and require a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and linear algebra.

5. Can the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane change?

Yes, the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator S in xz plane can change depending on the orientation of the particle's spin in the xz plane. As the spin can be in any direction in the xz plane, the eigenvalues and eigenstates will also change accordingly. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics known as spin superposition.