Quadratic equation application

In summary: B, the result is 1, which means the total time it will take for both pipes to work together is 1 hour less than the time it would take for just pipe B working alone.In summary, it will take 5.3 hours for pipe B working alone to fill the tank.
paulmdrdo1
please check my work.

Pipe A can fill a given tank in 4 hr. If pipe B works alone, it takes 3 hr longer to fill the tank than if pipes A and B act together. How long will it take pipe B working alone?

let $x=$ required time for B working together with A
$x+3=$ required time for B working alone

$\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{4}=\frac{1}{x+3}$

solving for x I get 5.3 hr (approximately)

can you suggest another way of solving it? thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is another way to work the problem. Let $B$ be the time (in hours) it takes pipe $B$ working alone to fill the tank. In $4B$ hours, pipes $A$ and $B$ working together can fill $4+B$ tanks, which means it takes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4B}{4+B}\)

hours for them to fill one tank. Thus, given it takes pipe $B$ 3 hours more than this to fill the tank alone, we may write:

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{4B}{4+B}+3\)

which may be written as:

\(\displaystyle B^2-3B-12=0\)

Applying the quadratic formula and discarding the negative root, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{3+\sqrt{57}}{2}\approx5.3\)

MarkFL said:
Here is another way to work the problem. Let $B$ be the time (in hours) it takes pipe $B$ working alone to fill the tank. In $4B$ hours, pipes $A$ and $B$ working together can fill $4+B$ tanks, which means it takes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4B}{4+B}\)

hours for them to fill one tank. Thus, given it takes pipe $B$ 3 hours more than this to fill the tank alone, we may write:

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{4B}{4+B}+3\)

which may be written as:

\(\displaystyle B^2-3B-12=0\)

Applying the quadratic formula and discarding the negative root, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{3+\sqrt{57}}{2}\approx5.3\)
thanks for that. Is my solution above correct?

paulmdrdo said:
thanks for that. Is my solution above correct?

Yes, adding 3 to the positive root of your equation is the same solution. :D

I have another question, where did you get 4B? why did you multiply them? If they are working together aren't they suppose to be added? :confused:

paulmdrdo said:
I have another question, where did you get 4B? why did you multiply them? If they are working together aren't they suppose to be added? :confused:

$4B$ is the LCM of $4$ and $B$, and so in that amount of time, we know the two pipes can fill $4+B$ tanks (this is where they are added).

Is this how you get 4B by adding their work rate?

$\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{4}=\frac{4+b}{4b}$

paulmdrdo said:
Is this how you get 4B by adding their work rate?

$\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{4}=\frac{4+b}{4b}$

While that equation is true, that's not how I think of it. I simply use the LCM of the two times.

MarkFL said:
While that equation is true, that's not how I think of it. I simply use the LCM of the two times.

I'm still confused. 4B here means the time that they work together right? In that span of time they can fill 4+B tanks. which means their work rate together is $\frac{4+B}{4B}$

if I do this $\frac{4+B}{4B}-\frac{1}{4}=\frac{1}{B+3}$

please tell me if this is correct.

This means it takes \(\displaystyle \frac{4B}{4+B}\) hours to fill one tank. Then we add 3 to that to equal $B$. That's what I did.

yes I kind of understand your solution. What I'm thinking now is

since $\frac{4+B}{4B}$ is their work rate working together if I subtract the work rate of pipe A working alone from their work rate working together I get this,

$\frac{4+B}{4B}-\frac{1}{4}=\frac{1}{B+3}$

I did this because when B is working alone his required time will be 3 hours more.

Related to Quadratic equation application

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and is used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What are some real-life applications of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are commonly used in physics to describe the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. They are also used in engineering to design curves and surfaces, and in economics to model revenue and profit.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are a few methods for solving quadratic equations, but the most common is the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. Other methods include factoring and completing the square.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the value b² - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions.

How can quadratic equations help solve real-world problems?

By using quadratic equations, we can model and predict real-world scenarios and make informed decisions. For example, we can use quadratic equations to determine the optimal shape for a rollercoaster or to calculate the maximum profit for a business. They are also used in fields such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry to analyze data and make predictions.