1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quadratic Formula examples

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1

MacLaddy

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Quadratic Equation. I am looking for an example of the quadratic equation being used in any form of engineering, or physics.

I am supposed to give an example for my algebra class, but I really don't want to do the "two trains left a station," or "sally jumped off a log."

I don't know if there are ANY applications of this in engineering or physics that I could use, as it needs to be basic algebra, but I am hoping.

Maybe something simple like [tex]f(w) = 10w^2 + 5x + 25 = 0[/tex], where w is windspeed, and the function is for how many turns an hour a windmill will get... Not sure if something like that exists.

My class will let me use an existing formula, or to create an example.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Searching, googling, pacing, and asking here.

I appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about an artillery shot problem. Given muzzle velocity what elevation angle to hit a target. When will it hit the ground? Uses

s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

MacLaddy

Gold Member

I would love to be able to use something like that, but what I mean when I say "basic algebra" is because I honestly can't solve that yet... (sadly) I guess I'll get there soon.

I know that is pronounced v-naught, but I don't know what it means.

I appreciate the effort, but perhaps can you give me a simpler explanation? (algebra 101 level)

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make it simpler. The equation I gave is for a body falling under the influence of gravity. g = 32 ft/sec2, s0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity. You could examine the following proposition:

Someone claimed that Michael Jordon could jump high enough that he had a 3 second hang time. How high would he have to jump to do that? The equation you need to answer that is

s = (-1/2)gt2+v0t+s0

where s is the height at time t. Start the jump with s0 = 0 at time t = 0 and unknown v0. You need some algebra to find the vertex of the (s,t) parabola and relate it to hitting the ground 3 seconds later.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook