Quadratic Regression on HP 50g

In summary, the conversation is about a person who bought an HP 50g Calculator and is disappointed that it does not have the capability to do quadratic regression. They are also being pressured by their teacher to use a TI calculator, but they prefer the RPN system. They are asking for help on how to make the HP calculator do quadratic regression and someone suggests programming it.
stephen92
Just went against the tide of the school and bought an Hp 50g Calculator(love RPN!) however to my dismay the calculator does not appear to do quadratic regression. Now my teacher is pressuring me into using a ti and I can't stand them now that I've gotten used to RPN.
Does anyone know how to make the thing do quadratic regression?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stephen92 said:
Just went against the tide of the school and bought an Hp 50g Calculator(love RPN!) however to my dismay the calculator does not appear to do quadratic regression. Now my teacher is pressuring me into using a ti and I can't stand them now that I've gotten used to RPN.
Does anyone know how to make the thing do quadratic regression?

I just got an HP50G myself (I am a gret lover of HP and RPN too, this is my 5th or 6th HP)

I don't know if the calc does it directly but it is greatly programable. You could save your new quadratic regression program in a VARiable (like a file folder) under a specific directory of your choice and recall it when you need it (with the soft keys).

Enjoy!

Related to Quadratic Regression on HP 50g

1. What is quadratic regression and how is it used on the HP 50g?

Quadratic regression is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between two variables, where one variable is squared. It is commonly used to model nonlinear relationships between variables. On the HP 50g, quadratic regression can be performed using the built-in STAT menu, by selecting the QuadReg function.

2. How do I input data for quadratic regression on the HP 50g?

To input data for quadratic regression on the HP 50g, go to the STAT menu and select the DATA option. Then, use the arrow keys to navigate to the X column and input your independent variable data. Press the down arrow to navigate to the Y column and input your dependent variable data. Press the MATH key and select QuadReg to perform the regression on the data.

3. Can I use quadratic regression to make predictions on the HP 50g?

Yes, quadratic regression can be used to make predictions on the HP 50g. After performing the regression, go to the EQUAT menu and select the EQ library option. From there, you can input values for the independent variable and the calculator will calculate the predicted values for the dependent variable based on the regression equation.

4. How do I interpret the results of a quadratic regression on the HP 50g?

The results of a quadratic regression on the HP 50g can be interpreted by looking at the regression equation, which will be in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. The coefficient a represents the curvature of the relationship, b represents the slope of the curve, and c represents the y-intercept. Additionally, the R^2 value can be used to determine the strength of the relationship between the variables.

5. How accurate are the predictions made using quadratic regression on the HP 50g?

The accuracy of the predictions made using quadratic regression on the HP 50g depends on the quality of the data and the appropriateness of the model for the relationship between the variables. It is important to assess the fit of the regression model and to consider the limitations of the data before relying on the predictions. Additionally, using multiple regression models and comparing the results can help improve the accuracy of the predictions.