Quality Factor in damped oscillation

In summary: My problem being that I cannot prove that \frac{b}{2m\omega_{0}} = \frac{1}{4Q^{2}} Knowing that E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m} i tried finding the energy loss per cycle by finding the difference between the energy at time t and the energy at time t + T (where T is the time period) but just ened up with an unhelpfull equation.\frac{1}{4Q^{2}}} is the loss in energy per cycle when the Q factor is greater than 1/2.
Mattofix
Working through my lecture summaries, I have been given that [tex] Q (the quality factor) =\frac{2\pi}{(\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex]

and accepted this as a statement, taking [tex]\((\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex] to mean the 'energy loss per cycle'.

The notes carry on to say

'The frequency [tex]\widetilde{\omega}[/tex] of under(damped) oscillator as function of the frequency [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] and the Q factor:

[tex]\widetilde{\omega} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - (\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0})^{2}}} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4Q^{2}}[/tex]

My problem being that I cannot prove that [tex]\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0}} = \frac{1}{4Q^{2}} [/tex]

Knowing that [tex]E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m}[/tex] i tried finding the energy loss per cycle by finding the difference between the energy at time t and the energy at time t + T (where T is the time period) but just ened up with an unhelpfull equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be much appreciated so i can get rid of this irritating missing link.

ok - i appreciate that [tex]
\((\Delta E/E)cycle}
[/tex] means energy loss per cycle divided by energy stored - where energy stored would be [tex]
E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m}
[/tex]

but i still cannot prove it

Mattofix said:
Working through my lecture summaries, I have been given that [tex] Q (the quality factor) =\frac{2\pi}{(\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex]

and accepted this as a statement, taking [tex]\((\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex] to mean the 'energy loss per cycle'.

The notes carry on to say

'The frequency [tex]\widetilde{\omega}[/tex] of under(damped) oscillator as function of the frequency [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] and the Q factor:

[tex]\widetilde{\omega} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - (\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0})^{2}}} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4Q^{2}}[/tex]

My problem being that I cannot prove that [tex]\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0}} = \frac{1}{4Q^{2}} [/tex]

Knowing that [tex]E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m}[/tex] i tried finding the energy loss per cycle by finding the difference between the energy at time t and the energy at time t + T (where T is the time period) but just ened up with an unhelpfull equation.

i can tell you why, if [itex]Q>\sqrt{1/2}[/itex] that the peak resonant frequency is

[tex]\omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4Q^{2}}[/tex]

if [itex]\omega_0[/itex] the "natural" resonant frequency (i don't know what to call it) of the system. but i do not know what b and m are and can't tell from the context. is this a second order mechanical system or an electrical system?

Related to Quality Factor in damped oscillation

1. What is the definition of Quality Factor (Q) in damped oscillation?

The Quality Factor, also known as Q-factor, is a measure of the rate at which energy is lost in a damped oscillating system. It is defined as the ratio of the energy stored in the system to the energy dissipated per cycle.

2. How does the value of Q affect the behavior of a damped oscillating system?

The higher the value of Q, the less energy is lost per cycle and the longer the system will continue to oscillate. A lower Q value indicates a greater rate of energy dissipation, resulting in shorter oscillation periods and a more rapid decay of the oscillations.

3. What factors influence the Q-value of a damped oscillation system?

The Q-value is influenced by the damping coefficient, the mass of the system, and the stiffness of the restoring force. In general, a higher damping coefficient and a lower mass or stiffness will result in a lower Q-value.

4. How is the Q-factor calculated in a damped oscillation system?

The Q-factor can be calculated using the formula Q = 2πE/Ed, where E is the energy stored in the system and Ed is the energy dissipated per cycle. Alternatively, Q can also be calculated using the equation Q = ω0/2β, where ω0 is the natural frequency of the system and β is the damping ratio.

5. What is the significance of Q-factor in practical applications?

The Q-factor is an important parameter in many practical applications, such as in designing electronic circuits, tuning musical instruments, and studying the behavior of mechanical systems. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and accuracy of oscillating systems.