What Happens to Energy When Phonons are Damped?

In summary: Use the simplest words that get the physics across accurately.In summary, phonons are not independent quasiparticles when phonon-phonon interactions are taken into account. This results in phonon frequencies getting renormalized and acquiring a width, indicating a finite lifetime. The energy carried by a damped phonon is redistributed to other degrees of freedom, mostly other phonons. When neglecting all other interactions and considering only the simple Born-Oppenheimer approximation, the only possible mechanism for energy loss is through heat generation. However, in a thermal equilibrium, a new phonon must be created to compensate for the energy loss, so there is no net flow of heat.
dRic2
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Where does the energy of a phonon go when it gets damped?
If you go beyond the harmonic approximation, phonons can not be thought as independent quasiparticles anymore and phonon-phonon interactions are taken into account. This eventually translates into the fact that phonons frequencies get renormalized ( ##\omega \rightarrow \omega^′ +i\nu ##) acquiring a width which gives a damped amplitude ##e^{-\nu t}## with a characteristic time ##\tau = 1/{\nu}##, like all quasi-particles.

Now my, possibly trivial, question: if phonons represent lattice oscillations, and one phonon gets dumped... where does the energy carried by the oscillation go? Is it redistributed to the electronic structure? Or is it lost in heat generation?

Thanks,
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
It goes to all the other degrees of freedom as dictated by the gods of thermodynamics. There are plenty of other degrees of freedom, and the finite lifetime indicates the strength of the coupling. Mostly other phonons for most solids. Phonons are the "heat".

Likes Zeeshan Ahmad
Thank you for the answer.

One more question: suppose we start with the simple Born-Oppenheimer approximation to separate electron and ion dynamics. In doing so we obtain a phonon hamiltonian like ##H = K + E## where ##K## is the ion kinetic energy and ##E## is the potential in which the move. In this simple picture, we are neglecting all the electron-phonon scatterings. So since phonons do not interact with electrons, the only possible mechanism to lose energy is through heat generation, right?

If it isn't in the Hamiltonian, it doesn't exist.
We are neglecting a host of things when writing the simple harmonic Hamiltonian. The ways we include them are various and depend upon what we need to calculate. Rigorously one includes them and shows which ones can be ignored or for a thermal reservoir which can be treated in an average (perhaps complex-valued) potential. The details depend upon how we convert the otherwise intractable problem into a useful solution.
What you are asking in essence is "If we ignore all the other interactions then the energy loss will be due to "X"". The answer to that question is tautologically yes every time.

Likes Twigg
hutchphd said:
"If we ignore all the other interactions then the energy loss will be due to "X"". The answer to that question is tautologically yes every time.
Yes, I apologize if you feel like I am wasting your time... but I want to be as clear as possible and I appreciate the time you took to answer.

Btw, I noticed that it is not really correct to say this:

dRic2 said:
So since phonons do not interact with electrons, the only possible mechanism to lose energy is through heat generation

If the system is in thermal equilibrium after a single phonon is "dumped", another one must be created inside the systems or inside the thermal bath (if I am using a grand canonical approach), so there is no net flow of heat.
Heat is lost only if the system is coupled with the environment somehow, so I really chose bad wording.

Last edited:
I am not worried about the statements by themselves. In my experience, folks who worry too much about exact semantics about physics often do not focus their energies on how to do physics. It is a trap to be avoided.

Likes dRic2

1. What is phonon damping?

Phonon damping refers to the process of energy dissipation in a material due to the presence of phonons, which are quantized lattice vibrations.

2. How does phonon damping occur?

Phonon damping can occur through various mechanisms, including anharmonic interactions between phonons, scattering of phonons by impurities or defects, and phonon-phonon interactions.

3. What factors affect the amount of phonon damping in a material?

The amount of phonon damping in a material is influenced by factors such as temperature, material composition, crystal structure, and the presence of impurities or defects.

4. Why is phonon damping important in materials science?

Phonon damping plays a crucial role in determining the thermal and mechanical properties of materials. It can also affect the performance of electronic and optoelectronic devices, as well as the efficiency of energy conversion processes.

5. How is phonon damping measured?

Phonon damping can be measured using techniques such as neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and thermal conductivity measurements. These methods can provide information about the energy dissipation processes and the properties of phonons in a material.