Are there any real quantum experiment videos available online?

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for videos showing experimental demonstrations of quantum mechanics, aside from the commonly known double slit experiment. Various suggestions are made, such as the Meissner effect, visualizing spectral lines, vibrating strings, and superfluid 4He. The possibility of a video showing a photon going through all possible paths at once is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the concept of path integral approaches to quantum mechanics and the difficulty of finding videos that accurately depict it. Lastly, the idea of representing the whole universe in a video is briefly mentioned.
maverick_starstrider
I know I just posted a similar topic but I guess you could call this the supertopic. Does anyone know of videos (either on youtube or elsewhere) that actually do an experimental demonstration of something quantum mechanical (i.e. impossible to explain classically) OTHER THEN THE DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT? I'm looking for actual experimental footage (or atleast footage of actual experimental results). No CGI or simulations. Ideally if the videos also had a discussion of what exactly is going on that'd be great (although I can probably figure it out if it doesn't).

You'd think there'd be a lot of such videos but I can't find any. Anywho, thanks very much for any links.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd settle for experimental review papers that don't go to deeply into the minutae of building the experimental apparatus.

Experiments with superconductivity are always fun. Try looking for the Meissner effect - there are a couple of demonstrations you can pull of with this trick (floating magnets, floating superconductors, "picking up" a superconductor using a magnet).

Also quantummechanical, yet a bit boring, is the visualization of spectral lines - this shows the quantum nature of the emission spectrum of atoms.

A very simple way of visualizing what is ment by "quantum" you can also look up a video of a vibrating string, with two ends attached.

I'm sure these experiments are performed online somewhere.

I was kinda hoping for something more along the lines of the diffraction grating experiment discussed in Feynman's QED or the likes. Something simple and visual and entirely indescribable classically. Like Young's double slit or stern-gerlach (with electrons). I guess I'm looking for a video which shows a result which is very easy to see why this should be impossible classically and is very visual in nature. I know this may be a tall order but the diffraction grating experiment in QED seems perfect if it is actually performable (point a laser near but not AT a diffraction grating and you will still see diffraction effects).

I'd like to see a video of a photon going through all possible paths at once. Would make for a pretty decent video.

Look up stuff on superfluid 4He. There's some cool videos on youtube.

nnnm4 said:
Look up stuff on superfluid 4He. There's some cool videos on youtube.

But once again that's a demonstration that coherent quantums states can exist macroscopically. Which is much more difficult to explain to a layman.

WaveJumper said:
I'd like to see a video of a photon going through all possible paths at once. Would make for a pretty decent video.

That's what I'm saying, path integral approaches to QM suggest that one could do the experiment Feynman descibes. So why can't I find such a thing?

maverick_starstrider said:
That's what I'm saying, path integral approaches to QM suggest that one could do the experiment Feynman descibes. So why can't I find such a thing?

I was joking. Are you sure you want an animated video that shows the whole unverse?

Edit: That was a loaded question, as we don't know what the whole universe is quantum mechanically. You could draw a line and claim this is the Universe described by QM. If you could prove that all experiments do not contradict your theory, this quantum interpretation may even be accepted.

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
I was joking. Are you sure you want an animated video that shows the whole unverse?

Edit: That was a loaded question, as we don't know what the whole universe is quantum mechanically. You could draw a line and claim this is the Universe described by QM. If you could prove that all experiments do not contradict your theory, this quantum interpretation may even be accepted.

Oh. I didn't take your post to mean the whole universe.

No need to joke...you can represent even an infinite spacetime on a finite piece of paper: Roger Penrose has shown how to use clever mathematical means to squeeze infinite spacetime into a finite area...it's called a Penrose Diagram, used by theoretical physicsts, but I think it's classicaly oriented...

What are Quantum Experiments Videos?

Quantum Experiments Videos are videos that showcase various experiments and demonstrations related to quantum mechanics. These experiments help to illustrate the principles and concepts of quantum theory and showcase the strange and fascinating behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Why are Quantum Experiments Videos important?

Quantum Experiments Videos are important because they allow us to visualize and understand the complex and counterintuitive concepts of quantum mechanics. These videos also help to inspire curiosity and interest in the field of quantum physics and its potential applications.

Who can benefit from watching Quantum Experiments Videos?

Anyone with an interest in science and physics can benefit from watching Quantum Experiments Videos. These videos are especially useful for students and researchers in the field of quantum mechanics, as well as for those looking to gain a better understanding of this fascinating branch of physics.

What types of experiments are typically featured in Quantum Experiments Videos?

Quantum Experiments Videos can feature a wide range of experiments, including double-slit experiments, quantum entanglement demonstrations, quantum tunneling experiments, and more. These experiments often involve manipulating and observing particles at the subatomic level.

Where can I find Quantum Experiments Videos?

Quantum Experiments Videos can be found on various online platforms, such as YouTube and Vimeo. They can also be found on websites and blogs dedicated to science and physics education. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have their own channels or websites where they share their own quantum experiments and demonstrations.