Quantum Gravity -- intro papers for 2nd year MSc student?

In summary: Hi YellowBiro,I think that the reason why I feel I need to read research papers on quantum gravity is because of the vast and unexplored frontier that quantum gravity occupies. There is so much that we do not know about this subject and I feel like reading papers on this area will help me gain a greater understanding of quantum gravity and its various concepts.Hi YellowBiro,I think that reading research papers on quantum gravity is a great idea. It will help you to better understand the concepts and the frontier of this field.
YellowBiro
Basically, I'm a Physics/Math MSc student. Currently strengthening my background in Diff. Geo., QFT, GR. I feel like I should start reading some research papers on Quantum Gravity but I do not know where to start.

What papers should I start with? I need papers that are accessible to 2nd year postgrads, but that also give a glimpse of the frontier. Maybe this is asking too much though. But at the very least I search for research papers that give an good introduction to Quantum Gravity topics, either to just one approach or an overview of all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi YellowBiro,

May I make suggest a few things to get you started on learning about quantum gravity. I've personally read and found a number of books very useful so I'll list them below, as you'll notice I have a decided preference for the Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics and the IoP Graduate Student Series:

• A First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwiebach
  • A First Course in Loop Quantum Gravity by Rodolfo Gambini and Jorge Pullin
  • Approaches to Quantum Gravity: Toward a New Understanding of Space, Time and Matter by Daniele Oriti
  • Quantum Gravity (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics) by Carlo Rovelli
  • Covariant Loop Quantum Gravity: An Elementary Introduction to Quantum Gravity and Spinfoam Theory (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics) by Carlo Rovelli and Francesca Vidotto
  • Modern Canonical Quantum General Relativity (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics) by Thomas Thiemann
  • Particle Physics of Brane Worlds and Extra Dimensions (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics) by Sreerup Raychaudhuri and K. Sridhar
  • Superstring Theory - 25th Anniversary Edition (Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics),Volumes 1and 2 by Michael B. Green, John H. Schwarz, Edward Witten
  • The World in Eleven Dimensions: Supergravity, supermembranes and M-theory (Series in High Energy Physics, Cosmology and Gravitation)by M.J Duff
  • Cosmology in Gauge Field Theory and String Theory (Graduate Student Series in Physics) by D. Bailin and Alexander Love
  • Supersymmetric Gauge Field Theory and String Theory (Graduate Student Series in Physics) by D. Bailin and Alexander Love
  • Geometry, Topology and Physics (Graduate Student Series in Physics) by Mikio Nakahara
That's probably enough books to get started with, to be honest.

Now for papers, I suggest, if you haven't already do so, making yourself familiar with arxiv especially https://arxiv.org/list/gr-qc/recent, there are thousands and thousands of papers.

Some I particularly like are:

Also see the Living Reviews in Relativity https://www.springer.com/gp/livingreviews/relativity/lrr-articles. For example:
I hope you'll find this useful if you have any questions get in touch.

Likes space_cadet, Demystifier, ohwilleke and 2 others
YellowBiro said:
Basically, I'm a Physics/Math MSc student. Currently strengthening my background in Diff. Geo., QFT, GR. I feel like I should start reading some research papers on Quantum Gravity but I do not know where to start.
Why do you feel that way? Why not read research papers on Diff. Geo., QFT, GR?

Hi martinbn,

The texts I've recommended to YellowBiro are designed to take postgraduates and researchers to the forefront of a research area and to be able to pick up a research paper, Thesis or arxiv article and to understand them. I have found graduate texts or monographs are the most effective and efficient way of doing this since they often begin from an undergraduate level and build clearly and concisely upon that.

Research papers themselves tend to start at a very high level and have a much steeper learning curve. They also to focus on a very small area within a topic. I feel that Review papers and monographs are a much better starting place.

Hi David Horgan,

I have no objections to you list, it seems like a very good list. I was just asking why YellowBiro feels that he needs to read papers on quantum gravity when he is studying GR, QFT and Diff.Geo.

What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the laws of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of subatomic particles, with the theory of general relativity, which describes the force of gravity on a large scale. It seeks to explain how gravity works at the smallest scales of space and time, where the effects of quantum mechanics are significant.

Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it is essential for understanding the fundamental workings of the universe. It has the potential to bridge the gap between the two most successful theories of modern physics, quantum mechanics and general relativity, and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of space, time, and matter.

What are some current theories of quantum gravity?

Some current theories of quantum gravity include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. Each of these theories offers different approaches to unite quantum mechanics and general relativity, but none have been proven conclusively.

How is quantum gravity related to the search for a theory of everything?

Quantum gravity is related to the search for a theory of everything because it aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. A theory of everything would explain all of these forces and their interactions, and quantum gravity is seen as a crucial step towards achieving this goal.

What are some challenges in the study of quantum gravity?

One of the major challenges in the study of quantum gravity is the lack of experimental evidence for any of the proposed theories. Another challenge is the difficulty in reconciling the principles of quantum mechanics, which deal with discrete particles, with the continuous nature of space and time in general relativity. The search for a theory of quantum gravity also requires advanced mathematical and computational tools, making it a highly specialized and complex field of study.