Quantum harmonic oscillator system

In summary, Ray is seeking help in calculating the canonical partition function for a system of N quantum harmonic oscillators, where photons are treated as oscillators with a discrete energy spectrum. He is unsure whether to use Maxwell-Boltzmann or Bose-Einstein treatment and is stuck on how to include an extra factor in the approximation. Marlon suggests using a Wick rotation and notes that photons are spin 1 particles, or bosons. Ray has not studied QFT yet and is attempting to use the Grand Canonical Partition function with a fixed particle number and a chemical potential of zero.
rayveldkamp
Hi,
I am wondering how i would go about calculating the canonical partition function for a system of N quantum harmonic oscillators. The idea of the question is that we are treating photons as oscillators with a discrete energy spectrum. I'm confused as whether to use Maxwell-Boltmann treatment, or Bose-Einstein treatment to determine the partition function, both methods don't seem to be working, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ray

Physics news on Phys.org
rayveldkamp said:
Hi,
I am wondering how i would go about calculating the canonical partition function for a system of N quantum harmonic oscillators. The idea of the question is that we are treating photons as oscillators with a discrete energy spectrum. I'm confused as whether to use Maxwell-Boltmann treatment, or Bose-Einstein treatment to determine the partition function, both methods don't seem to be working, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ray
the link between QFT and the statistical physics is the execution of a Wick rotation by replacing time t by imaginary time it. this allows for analytical continuiation of the gaussian integrals. But i do not think you know all of this.

Besides, have you realized that photons are spin 1 particles, thus bosons...

marlon

Yes that sounds great, but i have not yet studied any QFT, just QM and statistical mechanics. Anyway my attempt is to use the Grand Canonical Partition function, but since in this question the particle number is fixed, i set the chemical potential equal to zero.
However the question wants to approximate the discrete sum by an integral, in which case i have to include an extra factor of 1/(4pi hbar)^N, this is where i am stuck, i figure i have to integrate over the phase space but am not sure how to express the partition function in terms of position and momentum

Ray

What is a quantum harmonic oscillator system?

A quantum harmonic oscillator system is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential well that approximates a simple harmonic oscillator. It is often used as a simplified representation of more complex systems in order to better understand their properties.

How is a quantum harmonic oscillator system different from a classical harmonic oscillator?

In a classical harmonic oscillator, the energy of the system can take on any value. However, in a quantum harmonic oscillator system, the energy is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

What are the applications of a quantum harmonic oscillator system?

Quantum harmonic oscillator systems have many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model the behavior of atoms and molecules, study the properties of materials, and design electronic devices such as transistors and lasers.

How is the energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator system determined?

The energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator system is determined by the quantum number, which represents the different energy levels of the system. The higher the quantum number, the higher the energy of the system.

What is the significance of the zero-point energy in a quantum harmonic oscillator system?

The zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy level of a quantum harmonic oscillator system. It represents the energy of the system when it is in its ground state, or lowest energy state. This energy is never completely absent, even at absolute zero temperature.