What is the Quantum Explanation for the Law of Malus?

In summary, Skippy is looking for a source that gives a quantum derivation of the Law of Malus or an analysis of the interaction of photons with a birefringent crystal. They are interested in this topic because many experimental investigations of violations of the Bell or Leggett inequalities use photon polarization and are based on the Law of Malus. They are not interested in plausibility arguments or hand-waving. One possible explanation for light polarization in crystals is the presence of resonant directions for quasiparticles that absorb photon energy. However, this may not meet their criteria for a "quantum" explanation. They are hoping for more knowledgeable input from others.
skippy1729
I am looking for a book, article or online source which gives a quantum derivation of the Law of Malus or an analysis of the interaction of photons with a birefringent crystal.

Thanks, Skippy

Physics news on Phys.org
skippy1729 said:
I am looking for a book, article or online source which gives a quantum derivation of the Law of Malus or an analysis of the interaction of photons with a birefringent crystal.

Thanks, Skippy

I am going to give my thread one bump. (Hope that doesn't violate any rules.) Here is why I am interested:

Most experimental ivestigations of violations of the Bell or Leggett inequalities use photon polarization and are based, in part, on the Law of Malus which is presumed to follow from standard QM. While I harbor no doubts about the Law of Malus being a consequence of standard QM, I would really like to see it done. I am guessing it might require some techniques from Solid State Physics or perhaps S-Matrix theory.

Any leads? Skippy

PS I am not really interested in plausibility arguments or hand-waving. I have already found those.

Likes Igael
The simplest model of light polarization as I see is explained using wire-grid polarizer. Do not know if it's "quantum" enough for you. I guess not.
In crystals it's probably the effect that there are resonant directions for quasiparticles that absorb photon energy. Something in the fashion of Brillouin scattering.

I guess it's poor answer but maybe someone more knowledgeable will add something.

1. What is the Law of Malus?

The Law of Malus, also known as Malus' Law, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the behavior of light as it passes through polarizing filters. It states that the intensity of light passing through a polarizer is directly proportional to the square of the cosine of the angle between the polarization direction of the filter and the direction of the light.

2. How does the Law of Malus relate to quantum mechanics?

The Law of Malus can be explained by quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a subatomic level. The law can be derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically from the concept of wave-particle duality, where light is both a wave and a particle.

3. What is the quantum explanation for the Law of Malus?

The quantum explanation for the Law of Malus involves the concept of superposition, where a single particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. In the case of light passing through a polarizer, the photons can be thought of as being in a superposition of different polarization states. When light passes through a polarizer, it only allows the photons with a specific polarization state to pass through, resulting in the observed intensity of light according to Malus' Law.

4. How does quantum entanglement play a role in the Law of Malus?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. In the context of the Law of Malus, entangled photons can be used to demonstrate the relationship between the polarization angles of the filters and the resulting intensity of light, providing further evidence for the validity of the law.

5. Can the Law of Malus be violated in the quantum realm?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the Law of Malus cannot be violated. However, there have been experiments conducted that seem to contradict the law. These experiments can be explained by considering the effects of additional factors, such as the presence of other particles or the interactions between particles, which can affect the observed results. Overall, the Law of Malus holds true in the quantum realm, but it may be influenced by other factors that need to be taken into account.