Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanical Tunneling Probability

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    I recently took an exam in which the professor asked the following question:

Suppose an object of mass 2 grams were incident on a rectangular barrier of height 20 cm and width 2.0 cm. What is the probability that the object will quantum mechanically tunnel and appear on the other side?

I argued that since this object has a mass on the order of 10^27 times greater than the electron that qualitatively the probability would be negligible. Furthermore I argued that such a macroscopic object could be described classically so why would we describe such an object by a wave-function propagating in space? I'd like to hear your ideas on the matter and see what others say. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I'd say that you're right, it's "negligible", but your professor probably wanted you to come up with a number. You have to play to the audience. :smile:

I'd also say that Schrodinger quantum mechanics is intended to describe a point particle, and treating a 2 gram object as if it were a point particle is pretty hokey. What if half the object penetrated the barrier and the other half did not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook