Quantum Mechanics: Even/Odd Stationary States

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation value of the position of a particle in an infinite square well at a given time, when the particle is in a linear superposition of the ground and first excited eigenstates. The conversation also explores a methodological approach to solving the problem, involving the even-ness and odd-ness of the integrands, but ultimately concludes that explicit integration is necessary to obtain the correct solution. The conversation also highlights the importance of checking boundary conditions in wavefunction solutions.
QuantumBunnii

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m in the infinite square well of width a at time t = 0 is in a linear superposition of the ground- and the first excited- eigenstates, specifically it has the wave function

$$| \Psi(x,t) > = A[ | \psi_1 > + e^{i \phi} | \psi_2 >$$

Find the expectation value <x(t)> of the position of the particle at time t.

Homework Equations

[tex]< f(x,t) | g(x,t) > = \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} f(x,t)^{*}g(x,t)\ dx[/tex]
$$ <x(t)> = < \Psi(x,t) | x \Psi(x,t) > $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Obtaining a solution for this problem isn't extraordinarily difficult-- given the stationary states [itex] \psi_1[/itex] and [itex] \psi_2 [/itex], we can simply plug them into the above equations and-- after having normalized for 'A'-- solve for <x(t)>. My question is a more methodological one, regarding the even-ness and odd-ness of the integrands. After going through a few steps to solve for <x>, we would obtain the following solution:

$$ <x> = A < \psi_1 | x \psi_1 > + B | \psi_1 | x \psi_2 > + C < \psi_2 | x \psi_1 > + D < \psi_2 | x \psi_2 > $$

where A, B, C, and D, are imaginary constants.
In the interest of time, I decided to consider the even-ness and odd-ness of the above integrands: ## \psi_{0,2,4,...} ## correspond to odd functions, and ## \psi_{1,3,5,...} ## correspond to even functions. 'x' should also be considered an odd function, since I have chosen the integral to run from -a/2 to a/2. Hence, we can determine whether each integrand is ultimately even or odd (even times even is even; odd times even is odd; etc.), and immediately set the odd integrands to zero (integrating an odd function centered at the origin yields a value of zero). This would mean: A = 0 and D = 0. However, this turns out to give me the wrong answer, as it seems I'm supposed to consider the value of *all* the integrals.

I tried to keep the mathematical calculations in this question to a minimum; I would just like to know whether the above methodology is mathematically intact (I almost hope it isn't...), and-- if so-- why it doesn't work out in this case.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The methodology seems pretty much fine. Check the endpoints of the well in the problem statement to make sure there is symmetry across x=0. If so, it would not be A and D which were zero, but the inner products [itex] <\psi_1|x|\psi_1 >[/itex] and [itex] <\psi_2|x|\psi_2 >[/itex]. Perhaps this is for the general case where the endpoints are not symmetrically located across x = 0. Also A in your last equation is not the same A as in your first equation, but perhaps you know this. B and C would depend on phi, which depends on time.

$$ <x(t)> = < \Psi(x,t) | x \Psi(x,t) > = A^*A( <\psi_1| + e^{-i\phi} <\psi_2|)x( | \psi_1 > + e^{i \phi} | \psi_2 >) $$

$$ A^*A( <\psi_1|x|\psi_1 > + e^{i \phi} <\psi_1|x| \psi_2> + e^{-i\phi} <\psi_2|x|\psi_1 > + <\psi_2 |x| \psi_2 >) $$

The nature of the infinite square well is such that there is always symmetry about the center (inside, the stationary states represent standing waves). In my particular case, I have chosen the center to lie at x=0 so that I may employ the odd-ness of the function f(x) = x and pursue the methods outlined above, which naturally elicit the following: [itex] < \psi_1 | x \psi_1 > = < \psi_2 | x \psi_2 > = 0 [/itex].
However, anylitically solving each integral will yield a value of zero for all of them.

To be sure, the infinite square well of width 'a' has the following stationary states:

[tex] | \psi_n > = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a} } sin( n \pi x / a) [/tex]

So...

[tex] < \psi_1 | x \psi_1 > = \frac{2}{a} \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} xsin^{2}( \pi x / a)\ dx = 0 [/tex]

[tex] < \psi_2 | x \psi_2 > = \frac{2}{a} \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} xsin^{2}( 2 \pi x /a)\ dx = 0 [/tex]

[tex] < \psi_1 | x \psi_2 > = < \psi_2 | x \psi_1 > = \frac{2}{a} \int_{-a/2}^{a/2} xsin( \pi x /a)sin(2 \pi x /a)\ dx = 0 [/tex]

(Results obtained from WolframAlpha)
The former two results are expected in light of the integrands' oddness, but the lattermost result is confounding, and constitutes the basis of my question. I'm sure there's something wrong with my 'even/odd-ness' approach (I wouldn't doubt the validity of explicit integration), I'm just not sure what.
(Honestly, I'd just stick to explicit integration, but this might not turn out so well on a 50-minute midterm :\)

Edit: Nvm.. Even if 'zero' was the true result, this would void the possibility of any time-oscillatory terms (zero truncates everything )which are otherwise present in a system running from 0 to a...

Last edited:
QuantumBunnii said:
To be sure, the infinite square well of width 'a' has the following stationary states:

[tex] | \psi_n > = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a} } sin( n \pi x / a) [/tex]

Check to see if these wavefunctions satisfy the boundary conditions at x = ±a/2.

TSny said:
Check to see if these wavefunctions satisfy the boundary conditions at x = ±a/2.

Wow-- completely overlooked that.

Thanks a lot!

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles of nature at the smallest scale, where classical mechanics no longer applies.

What are stationary states in quantum mechanics?

Stationary states, also known as energy eigenstates, are quantum states in which a system remains unchanged over time. In other words, the probability of finding the system in a particular state does not change with time.

What does it mean for a stationary state to be even or odd?

In quantum mechanics, a stationary state can be classified as even or odd based on its wave function. An even stationary state has a symmetric wave function, meaning that it is the same whether you reflect it about the origin or not. An odd stationary state has an antisymmetric wave function, meaning that it changes sign when reflected about the origin.

What is the significance of even/odd stationary states?

The even/odd parity of a stationary state affects the probability of finding a particle in a particular location. For example, in an even stationary state, the probability of finding a particle at the center is high, while in an odd stationary state, the probability is low. This has important implications in understanding the properties and behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How are even/odd stationary states used in practical applications?

Even/odd stationary states are utilized in various applications, such as quantum computing and cryptography. They are also important in understanding the properties of molecules and their reactions, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies.