Quantum Mechanics: Expectation values (Griffiths)

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The expectation value of momentum is the rate of change of the expectation value of position with respect to time.As for your first question, you are correct that it is an indeterminate form. However, in this case, the expression goes to zero as ##x \to \pm \infty## because the wave function goes to zero. Remember, the wave function is not just ##\psi(x) = x##; it is a complex function that decays as ##x \to \pm \infty.##Yes, that is correct. The expectation value of momentum is the rate of change of the expectation value of position with respect to time.As for your first question, you are correct that it is
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 4.27.37 PM.png

A few questions:

Q1) How does 1.29 flow to 1.30 and 1.31? How was the integral-by-parts done?
Q2) The author states that <v> = d<x>/dt represents the expectation value of velocity. What does this actually mean? I tried to rationalise that d<x>/dt represented the velocity at which the average position of the particle was moving about as time progressed. Does it make any sense?
Q3) If my understanding in 2 is right, would <p> then be the momentum associated with the motion of the average position <x>?

Apologies if I'm not making much sense, I'm just starting to properly learn some QM.

Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure which part of your post is homework and which part is your attempt at solving the problem. Please correctly fill out the homework template by stating the full problem in section 1, any relevant equations in section 2, and your attempts and reasoning in section 3.

NFuller said:
I am not sure which part of your post is homework and which part is your attempt at solving the problem. Please correctly fill out the homework template by stating the full problem in section 1, any relevant equations in section 2, and your attempts and reasoning in section 3.
Apologies, this isn't really homework. It was more of case of me not understanding a passage in a text. I felt that this was low-level stuff and decided to post under the coursework forum so as to prevent cluttering on other threads (it is related to my coursework too). Should I shift it?

Homework Statement

screen-shot-2017-09-01-at-4-27-37-pm-png.png

Correction to original post:

I was reading through Griffith's text and was stuck at the section shown above regarding expectation values of position, velocity and momentum. There are a few questions I'd like to ask.

Q1) How does 1.29 flow to 1.30 and 1.31?
Q2) The author states that <v> = d<x>/dt represents the expectation value of velocity. What does this actually mean?
Q3) If my understanding in 2 is right, would <p> then be the momentum associated with the motion of the average position <x>?

Homework Equations

1) I tried integrating (equation 1.29) the part with the partial derivative and differentiating x while also trying it the other way round. I can't seem to arrive at expression 1.30. How do I approach this?
2) I tried to rationalise that d<x>/dt represented the velocity at which the average position of the particle was moving about as time progressed. Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance!

WWCY said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210131
Correction to original post:

I was reading through Griffith's text and was stuck at the section shown above regarding expectation values of position, velocity and momentum. There are a few questions I'd like to ask.

Q1) How does 1.29 flow to 1.30 and 1.31?
Q2) The author states that <v> = d<x>/dt represents the expectation value of velocity. What does this actually mean?

Homework Equations

1) I tried integrating (equation 1.29) the part with the partial derivative and differentiating x while also trying it the other way round. I can't seem to arrive at expression 1.30. How do I approach this?
2) I tried to rationalise that d<x>/dt represented the velocity at which the average position of the particle was moving about as time progressed. Does it make any sense?

Thanks in advance!

For Q1: just standard integration by parts--yes, really! If you are not seeing it, post the details of your attempt, so we can see where you went wrong.

For Q2: Yes, it makes sense. The expected value of velocity is
$$ \lim_{\Delta \to 0} \frac{\langle x \rangle (t+\Delta t) - \langle x \rangle (t) } { \Delta t},$$
and this evaluates to what was given by Griffith.

Ray Vickson said:
For Q1: just standard integration by parts--yes, really! If you are not seeing it, post the details of your attempt, so we can see where you went wrong.

1) Treating the 1.29 as ∫f(x)g'(x) = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x)dx

I tried to integrate the part with the partial derivative (g'(x)) whilst keeping x (f(x)) constant in the first part of the RHS. This gives the expression in 1.30 in the second part (- ∫f'(x)g(x)) of the RHS. I can't however, make the part f(x)g(x) go to zero as it is in the form (x)g(x) with limits of ∞ from -∞. What am I doing wrong?

3) Since 2) made sense, could I similarly describe <p> as the momentum associated with the motion of the average position <x>?

Thank you for your patience.

WWCY said:
1) Treating the 1.29 as ∫f(x)g'(x) = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x)dx

I tried to integrate the part with the partial derivative (g'(x)) whilst keeping x (f(x)) constant in the first part of the RHS. This gives the expression in 1.30 in the second part (- ∫f'(x)g(x)) of the RHS. I can't however, make the part f(x)g(x) go to zero as it is in the form (x)g(x) with limits of ∞ from -∞. What am I doing wrong?

3) Since 2) made sense, could I similarly describe <p> as the momentum associated with the motion of the average position <x>?

Thank you for your patience.

In order to have convergence (that is, the finiteness of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\psi(x)|^2 \, dx##) we absolutely NEED ##|\psi(x)| \to 0## as ##x \to \pm \infty.##

Ray Vickson said:
In order to have convergence (that is, the finiteness of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\psi(x)|^2 \, dx##) we absolutely NEED ##|\psi(x)| \to 0## as ##x \to \pm \infty.##

bringing the limits into f(x)g(x) means ∞*0 - (-∞)*0, does it not? How can i resolve these indeterminate forms?

Also, I don't mean to sound pushy but do you mind answering this? :/

WWCY said:

Thanks!

1. What is the concept of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

The concept of expectation values in quantum mechanics refers to the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, that is calculated based on the probability of obtaining different values when measuring the system. It gives insight into the most likely outcome of a measurement and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How are expectation values calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, expectation values are calculated using the wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle or system at different locations or states. The expectation value is found by taking the integral of the observable (represented by an operator) multiplied by the wave function squared, over all possible states.

3. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values are significant in quantum mechanics because they provide a way to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, which can be unpredictable on a microscopic level. They also help to connect the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics with observable, physical quantities in the macroscopic world.

4. How do expectation values differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, measurements of physical quantities are considered to be deterministic, meaning that a single, definite value can be measured. In contrast, in quantum mechanics, the expectation value represents the most probable outcome of a measurement, rather than a single, definite value. Additionally, the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics means that certain pairs of physical quantities cannot be precisely measured at the same time, unlike in classical physics.

5. What are some real-world applications of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values have many practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as predicting the behavior of particles in quantum computing and quantum cryptography systems. They are also used in various experiments and technologies, such as in the design of superconductors and semiconductors, and in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).