Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quantum Mechanics help

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Hi

Does anyone know the cartesian coordinates equations for the 2px and 2py wave functions?

Thanks

-MSE270
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Quantum Mechanics

2. Relevant equations

looking for them

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out that 1s wave function is e^(-sqrt((x^2)+(y^2)))

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi whatsupdog11, welcome to PF!:smile:

The general eigenfunctions for the Hydrogen atom are derived in every introductory QM textbook I can recall seeing. I suggest you study the chapter of your text that covers the Hydrogen atom, and then return if you still have questions.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    The problem is the class does not have a textbook. I have tried looking up the equations on the internet but i can not find any.

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    If your professor is offering no textbook, I would recommending heading over to your library and pulling out a book or two. DJ Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics is a pretty good book for beginning quantum mechanics. If your library doesn't have it, you can also see R Fitzpatrick's Quantum Mechanics: An Undergraduate Course at this site for a free, electronic copy of his text (you need Adobe Acrobat reader or some other PDF reader).

I think Griffiths is a better choice than Fitzpatrick, but both are good beginning QM texts.

6. Feb 5, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Here's a list:

http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Finley/P262/Hydrogen/WaveFcns.html [Broken]

I assume they're correct.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook