1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics help

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1

Does anyone know the cartesian coordinates equations for the 2px and 2py wave functions?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Quantum Mechanics

2. Relevant equations

looking for them

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out that 1s wave function is e^(-sqrt((x^2)+(y^2)))
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi whatsupdog11, welcome to PF!:smile:

The general eigenfunctions for the Hydrogen atom are derived in every introductory QM textbook I can recall seeing. I suggest you study the chapter of your text that covers the Hydrogen atom, and then return if you still have questions.
  4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    The problem is the class does not have a textbook. I have tried looking up the equations on the internet but i can not find any.
  5. Feb 4, 2010 #4
    If your professor is offering no textbook, I would recommending heading over to your library and pulling out a book or two. DJ Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics is a pretty good book for beginning quantum mechanics. If your library doesn't have it, you can also see R Fitzpatrick's Quantum Mechanics: An Undergraduate Course at this site for a free, electronic copy of his text (you need Adobe Acrobat reader or some other PDF reader).

I think Griffiths is a better choice than Fitzpatrick, but both are good beginning QM texts.
  6. Feb 5, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Here's a list:

http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Finley/P262/Hydrogen/WaveFcns.html [Broken]

I assume they're correct.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook