Quantum Mechanics: 2px and 2py Wave Function Equations | MSE270 Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cartesian coordinates equations for the 2px and 2py wave functions in Quantum Mechanics. The original poster is looking for help and suggestions on where to find the equations, since their class does not have a textbook. Various recommendations for textbooks and online resources are given.
whatsnewdog11
Hi

Does anyone know the cartesian coordinates equations for the 2px and 2py wave functions?

Thanks

-MSE270

Homework Statement

Quantum Mechanics

Homework Equations

looking for them

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that 1s wave function is e^(-sqrt((x^2)+(y^2)))

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi whatsupdog11, welcome to PF!:smile:

whatsnewdog11 said:
Hi

Does anyone know the cartesian coordinates equations for the 2px and 2py wave functions?

The general eigenfunctions for the Hydrogen atom are derived in every introductory QM textbook I can recall seeing. I suggest you study the chapter of your text that covers the Hydrogen atom, and then return if you still have questions.

The problem is the class does not have a textbook. I have tried looking up the equations on the internet but i can not find any.

If your professor is offering no textbook, I would recommending heading over to your library and pulling out a book or two. DJ Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics is a pretty good book for beginning quantum mechanics. If your library doesn't have it, you can also see R Fitzpatrick's Quantum Mechanics: An Undergraduate Course at this site for a free, electronic copy of his text (you need Adobe Acrobat reader or some other PDF reader).

I think Griffiths is a better choice than Fitzpatrick, but both are good beginning QM texts.

Here's a list:

http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Finley/P262/Hydrogen/WaveFcns.html

I assume they're correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles, which is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles describe the behavior of particles and their interactions at a quantum level.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is based on probabilistic principles and describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Quantum mechanics also allows for phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which do not exist in classical mechanics.

What is the role of mathematics in quantum mechanics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it provides the language and tools for describing and predicting the behavior of particles. This includes complex numbers, linear algebra, and differential equations.

What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of transistors and computer chips, lasers, MRI machines, and cryptography. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing.