Quantum Mechanics - Identical and Non-Identical Spin 1 particles

In summary, the problem is trying to find the lowest-energy two-particle state for spin-1 particles in a total spin J=1 state.
Tangent87
Hi, I am doing question 32D on page 18 here:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2005/Part_2/PaperII_3.pdf

and I am stuck on the second paragraph where we have to explain how to construct the two-particle states of lowest energy for (i). identical spin-1 particles with combined total spin J=1, and (ii). non-identical spin-1 particles with combined total spin J=1.

I found in the first part of the question that all three of the J=1 spin states are antisymmetric, and thus for (i) since we have identical spin 1 particles the total state must be symmetric overall therefore the only possible state is [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)[/tex]. But I'm not sure about this because I don't think it takes into account the fact that we're in a total spin J=1 state.

For (ii), I said that since the particles are non-identical there is no exchange symmetry and so we can have any of the three states: [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)|1 M>[/tex] for M=-1,0 or 1. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent87 said:
I found in the first part of the question that all three of the J=1 spin states are antisymmetric, and thus for (i) since we have identical spin 1 particles the total state must be symmetric overall therefore the only possible state is [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)[/tex]. But I'm not sure about this because I don't think it takes into account the fact that we're in a total spin J=1 state.

If the total state must be symmetric and the spin states are all antisymmetric, that means the wavefunction must be antisymmetric. [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)[/tex] is not antisymmetric.

For (ii), I said that since the particles are non-identical there is no exchange symmetry and so we can have any of the three states: [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)|1 M>[/tex] for M=-1,0 or 1. Is that correct?

Yes, and all three states have identical energy.

ideasrule said:
If the total state must be symmetric and the spin states are all antisymmetric, that means the wavefunction must be antisymmetric. [tex]\psi_1(A)\psi_1(B)[/tex] is not antisymmetric.

So in order to have the wavefunction being antisymmetric would I need to have something like [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_1(A)\psi_2(B)-\psi_2(A)\psi_1(B))?[/tex]

The only trouble I have with this is that the wavefunction now involves terms from the second energy level whilst we're only dealing with the lowest energy level, is this a problem?

So in order to have the wavefunction being antisymmetric would I need to have something like [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_1(A)\psi_2(B)-\psi_2(A)\psi_1(B))?[/tex]

Yes, that's correct.
The only trouble I have with this is that the wavefunction now involves terms from the second energy level whilst we're only dealing with the lowest energy level, is this a problem?

The wavefunction involves second-energy-level one-particle states, while the problem asks for the lowest-energy two-particle state. For fermions, the lowest-energy two-particle state indeed includes excited one-particle states.

Ah okay, that clears everything up, thanks again.

1. What is the concept of spin in quantum mechanics?

The concept of spin in quantum mechanics refers to an intrinsic property of particles that determines how they interact with magnetic fields. It is a fundamental property of particles, similar to mass and charge, and is described by a quantum number. Spin is measured in units of ħ/2, where ħ is the reduced Planck constant.

2. What is the difference between identical and non-identical spin 1 particles?

Identical spin 1 particles refer to particles that have the same spin quantum number and behave identically in all physical processes. Non-identical spin 1 particles, on the other hand, have different spin quantum numbers and may behave differently in certain physical processes.

3. How are spin 1 particles described mathematically in quantum mechanics?

Spin 1 particles are described by a mathematical framework known as quantum field theory. This framework uses operators to describe the properties of particles, such as spin, and their interactions with each other. The mathematical formalism also allows for the prediction of the probabilities of different outcomes in physical processes involving spin 1 particles.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics involving spin 1 particles?

Quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of spin, has numerous real-world applications. One example is in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology, which uses the spin of particles to create detailed images of the body's tissues. Spin 1 particles are also used in particle accelerators and in the development of quantum computers.

5. How does the concept of spin 1 particles tie into the broader understanding of quantum mechanics?

The concept of spin 1 particles is an important aspect of quantum mechanics, as it helps explain the behavior and properties of particles at the quantum level. Spin is also closely tied to other fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement. Understanding spin 1 particles is crucial for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature as described by quantum mechanics.