Quantum Mechanics: Speed of an electron

In summary: I don't know the equation for the energy of a particle in terms of gamma. But I think you should start to find the true speed of the particle by calculating the energy in terms of gamma.
hquiquero

Homework Statement

Find the energy (in joules), rest mass (kg), speed (m/s), wavelength (m), and momentum (kgm/s) of a 2.2 eV electron.

I'm having trouble finding the speed of the electron; once I have that I can find the wavelength and momentum.

E = energy
p = momentum
h = Planck's constant (6.63 x 10-34 Js)
c = the speed of light (3.0 x 108 m/s)
λ = wavelength

Homework Equations

1 eV = 1.60 x 10-19 J

Etotal = Ek + Erest

E = hc/λ

p = h/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy of electron in joules:
2.2 eV = 3.52 x 10-19 J

Rest mass of an electron:
9.11 x 10-31 kg
****(Is this a correct answer or do I need to calculate rest mass?)

Speed of electron:

I tried this equation:
Etotal = Ek + Erest
Ek = Etotal - Erest

but it doesn't work because the total energy given for the electron is less than the rest energy calculated...
I'm not sure what equation other equation I can use. Also, I don't know if relativity must be taken into account if the electron's speed is close to the speed of light?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hquiquero said:
E = hc/λ

This is not true, because frequency is not equal to c/λ. You should leave it as E=hf.

hquiquero said:
Speed of electron:

I tried this equation:
Etotal = Ek + Erest
Ek = Etotal - Erest

but it doesn't work because the total energy given for the electron is less than the rest energy calculated...
I'm not sure what equation other equation I can use. Also, I don't know if relativity must be taken into account if the electron's speed is close to the speed of light?

Thank you!

The equation is correct, but what are you using for their values? The question gives you Ek, and you should be trying to find Etotal.

Also, you've come across an important point when you said if the electron's speed is close to the speed of light. Compare the rest energy to the Ek and you'll get the answer to this.

BruceW said:
This is not true, because frequency is not equal to c/λ. You should leave it as E=hf.

Sorry, that equation was for another part of the question about photons that I decided to leave out... the equation I'd use to find wavelength of the electron is λ = h/mv

BruceW said:
The equation is correct, but what are you using for their values? The question gives you Ek, and you should be trying to find Etotal.

Also, you've come across an important point when you said if the electron's speed is close to the speed of light. Compare the rest energy to the Ek and you'll get the answer to this.

I was using the given value for energy for the total energy, but when I calculated the rest energy you get

Erest = mc2
=(9.11 x 10-31)(3.0 x 108)2
=8.199 x 10-14 J

which is more than the given energy...

Am I supposed to use the given energy for the kinetic energy? And if so, does it just equal to 1/2mv2?

the energy they give must be the kinetic energy, because it is less than the rest energy.

In relativity, the KE is not 1/2mv^2. I think you should look over the basic definitions again. are you learning from a textbook, or a teacher or online? Wikipedia give a fairly good explanation.

What are you trying to calculate in this question? speed and relativistic momentum?

I am learning from an online course... I tried using the Ek = 1/2mv2 and got a speed that was only 0.3% of the speed of light, so I think that means I don't have to consider relativity in my calculations.. I could be wrong though?

You are correct that the speed of this particle is much less than the speed of light. But the equation you are using (Ek=1/2mv2) is not correct. It is only approximate when the speed of the particle is much less than the speed of light, and it is totally untrue when the particle's speed is close to the speed of light.

Do you know the equation for the energy of a particle in terms of gamma? This is where you should start to find the true speed of the particle.

Or you could just say that since the particle's speed is small compared to the speed of light, you could just treat it as a classical particle. (But this would be an approximate answer).

1. What is the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics?

The speed of an electron in quantum mechanics is not a fixed value. According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and velocity of an electron at the same time. Therefore, the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics is described by its probability distribution rather than a specific value.

2. How does the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the speed of an electron is a well-defined value that can be measured at any given time. However, in quantum mechanics, the speed of an electron is described by its wave function, which represents the probability of finding the electron at a certain position with a certain speed.

3. Can the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics exceed the speed of light?

No, the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle can travel in the universe.

4. How does the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics affect its behavior?

The speed of an electron in quantum mechanics affects its behavior by determining the probability of its position and momentum. As the electron's speed increases, the uncertainty in its position decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics be measured?

Due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the speed of an electron in quantum mechanics cannot be measured with complete accuracy. However, it can be estimated by measuring the electron's position at different points in time and calculating its average speed over a given distance. This is known as the time-of-flight method.