Quantum Mechanics Spin Expectation Value

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation value of Sx for a system in a time-dependent state. There is a mention of normalizing the state and using the operator Sx, which can take half integer values. The conversation also mentions the eigenvalues and eigenstates of Sx and Sz, and how to calculate the expectation value.
helpcometk

Homework Statement

What is the expectation valueof the Sχ for a system in the time-dependent state
|Ψ> = 2e-2iωt |z+> -ieiωt |z->

Homework Equations

maybe the state must be normalised first i.e 1/√5 times the initial ψ

The Attempt at a Solution

And then say<ψ|Sχ|ψ> where ψ is normalised now and Sx is equal to what ?? .
Maybe Sx =hbar/2 ψ ? i think in this very last statement i have to be wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Who's z+ and z- ? The normalization factor is ok, provided that z+ and z- are normalized.

We don't know anything more about z 's ,so this part of problem is solved presumably ,most possibly correct.

What do you know about the operator Sx?

Maybe it can take half integer values ? I really don't know anything else.

Presumably you have a textbook, and it surely covers spin-1/2 systems. Start by reading up on that. Try keeping straight the difference between the operator, its eigenvalues, and its eigenstates. You should be able to calculate what the following equal:
\begin{align*}
\hat{S}_x | \uparrow \rangle = \ ? \\
\hat{S}_x | \downarrow \rangle = \ ?
\end{align*}where the two states are the eigenstates of Sz.

the only information i managed to found is that Sx |z+> =hbar/2 |z->

and Sx|z->=hbar/2|z+>

but even if we suppose this is correct there is also the problem how to put these in the expression for the expectation value.

well if this is correct i think i know

That's correct.

3q .

1. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is an important concept because it affects the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is the spin expectation value calculated in quantum mechanics?

The spin expectation value is calculated by taking the average of the possible values of spin for a particular particle. This is achieved by taking the sum of the squared spin values for each state, weighted by their respective probabilities, and then taking the square root of that sum.

3. What is the difference between spin expectation value and spin projection?

The spin expectation value is a measure of the average value of the spin of a particle, while spin projection is a specific value of the spin in a particular direction. The spin projection is a single value, while the spin expectation value takes into account all possible spin values and their respective probabilities.

4. How does spin affect the properties of particles?

Spin affects the properties of particles in many ways, including their magnetic moment, their interactions with electromagnetic fields, and their behavior in certain experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

5. Can the spin expectation value of a particle change?

Yes, the spin expectation value of a particle can change depending on the external forces acting on it. For example, if a particle with a spin of 1/2 is placed in a magnetic field, the spin expectation value will change due to the interaction with the field.