Quantum Mechanics - Unitary Operators and Spin 1/2

In summary: You have attempted to do question 2/II/32D but only completed part of it. You need to finish the question and provide the answer.
Tangent87
Hi, I'm doing question 2/II/32D at the top of page 68 here (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2005/Part_2/list_II.pdf ). I have done everything except for the last sentence of the question.

This is what I have attempted so far:

[tex]|\chi\rangle=|\uparrow\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Then [tex]U|\chi\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
cos(\theta /2) \\
0 \end{array} \right)-(\boldsymbol{n}.\boldsymbol{\sigma})\left( \begin{array}{c}
isin(\theta /2) \\

Now I need to choose n. If I want the spin up state measured along the direction (sin@,0,cos@) am I correct in thinking I need the eigenvector corresponding to the +1 eigenvalue of this matrix?:

[tex]\sigma_1 sin\theta+\sigma_3 cos\theta=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
cos\theta & sin\theta \\
sin\theta & -cos\theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]

In which case this the desired state is [tex]U|\chi\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
sin\theta \\
1-cos\theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]

But I don't think it's possible to choose n such that this is the case, so where have I gone wrong? Also do I need to worry about any [tex]\hbar /2[/tex] since [tex]\boldsymbol{S}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\boldsymbol{\sigma}[/tex]?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent87 said:
Hi, I'm doing question 2/II/32D at the top of page 68 here (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2005/Part_2/list_II.pdf ). I have done everything except for the last sentence of the question.

This is what I have attempted so far:

[tex]|\chi\rangle=|\uparrow\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\

Then [tex]U|\chi\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
cos(\theta /2) \\
0 \end{array} \right)-(\boldsymbol{n}.\boldsymbol{\sigma})\left( \begin{array}{c}
isin(\theta /2) \\

Now I need to choose n. If I want the spin up state measured along the direction (sin@,0,cos@) am I correct in thinking I need the eigenvector corresponding to the +1 eigenvalue of this matrix?:

[tex]\sigma_1 sin\theta+\sigma_3 cos\theta=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
cos\theta & sin\theta \\
sin\theta & -cos\theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]

In which case this the desired state is [tex]U|\chi\rangle=\left( \begin{array}{c}
sin\theta \\
1-cos\theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]

But I don't think it's possible to choose n such that this is the case, so where have I gone wrong?
Right idea, wrong matrix. Think about it like this: you are trying to arrange for the component of spin along a particular axis to be [itex]+\hbar/2[/itex], so you need to find the +1 eigenvalue of the matrix that measures spin along that axis. If the axis were the z axis, you'd use [itex]S_z[/itex]. If it were the x axis, you'd use [itex]S_x[/itex]. For an arbitrary axis, though, you don't have a precomputed spin matrix, so you'll need to calculate it by applying a rotation to one of the known spin matrices.

Now, do you know how to use [itex]U[/itex] to implement a rotation? Specifically, remember what the meanings of the vector [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] and the parameter [itex]\theta[/itex] are, in the context of rotations.
Tangent87 said:
Also do I need to worry about any [tex]\hbar /2[/tex] since [tex]\boldsymbol{S}=\frac{\hbar}{2}\boldsymbol{\sigma}[/tex]?
Keep in mind that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is unitless, and just make sure the units are consistent :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
diazona said:
Right idea, wrong matrix. Think about it like this: you are trying to arrange for the component of spin along a particular axis to be [itex]+\hbar/2[/itex], so you need to find the +1 eigenvalue of the matrix that measures spin along that axis. If the axis were the z axis, you'd use [itex]S_z[/itex]. If it were the x axis, you'd use [itex]S_x[/itex]. For an arbitrary axis, though, you don't have a precomputed spin matrix, so you'll need to calculate it by applying a rotation to one of the known spin matrices.

Now, do you know how to use [itex]U[/itex] to implement a rotation? Specifically, remember what the meanings of the vector [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] and the parameter [itex]\theta[/itex] are, in the context of rotations.

Keep in mind that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is unitless, and just make sure the units are consistent :wink:

Can you tell me what I've done wrong in using the matrix [tex] \boldsymbol{m}.\boldsymbol{\sigma}=
\sigma_1 sin\theta+\sigma_3 cos\theta=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
cos\theta & sin\theta \\
sin\theta & -cos\theta \end{array} \right)
[/tex] where m=(sin@,0,cos@) (the direction for the new spin up state). Now we have to choose an n such that [tex]U=exp(-i\boldsymbol{n}.\boldsymbol{\sigma}\theta/2)[/tex] rotates our original spin up state into this new one? As you say, U here is the rotation operator which will rotate the state by an angle theta about n.

Actually I think I might have just figured it out. I think I've got the RIGHT matrix, just the WRONG eigenvectors. My spin up eigenvector can be simplified to (cos(@/2),sin(@/2)) and if I choose n to be n=(0,1,0) I think that will work?

Yes, that's correct.

Tangent87 said:
Can you tell me what I've done wrong in using the matrix [tex] \boldsymbol{m}.\boldsymbol{\sigma}=
\sigma_1 sin\theta+\sigma_3 cos\theta=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
cos\theta & sin\theta \\
sin\theta & -cos\theta \end{array} \right)
[/tex] where m=(sin@,0,cos@) (the direction for the new spin up state). Now we have to choose an n such that [tex]U=exp(-i\boldsymbol{n}.\boldsymbol{\sigma}\theta/2)[/tex] rotates our original spin up state into this new one? As you say, U here is the rotation operator which will rotate the state by an angle theta about n.
Ah, sorry about that. I didn't go all the way to the end of the calculation so I didn't realize that the matrix you have is actually the right one for this case.

What is a unitary operator in quantum mechanics?

A unitary operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that preserves the norm, or length, of a quantum state vector. In other words, it preserves the probabilities of different outcomes when measuring the state. Unitary operators are important in quantum mechanics as they represent the time evolution of a quantum system.

How are unitary operators related to Hermitian operators?

Unitary operators and Hermitian operators are closely related in quantum mechanics. A Hermitian operator is one that is equal to its own conjugate transpose, and it represents an observable quantity in quantum mechanics. Unitary operators can be decomposed into a product of Hermitian operators, and they are used to transform between different bases in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of spin 1/2 in quantum mechanics?

Spin 1/2 is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, such as electrons and protons. Spin 1/2 particles have unique properties, such as being able to exist in two different states simultaneously.

How do unitary operators act on spin 1/2 particles?

Unitary operators act on spin 1/2 particles by transforming them between different spin states. These operators are represented by matrices, and they rotate the spin of a particle in a specific direction. The action of a unitary operator on a spin 1/2 particle can be described using the Pauli matrices, which are fundamental operators in quantum mechanics.

What are some real-world applications of unitary operators and spin 1/2?

Unitary operators and spin 1/2 have many applications in fields such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In quantum computing, unitary operators are used to manipulate qubits, which are the basic units of information in a quantum computer. In MRI, spin 1/2 particles are used to create images of the inside of the body, allowing for non-invasive medical diagnoses.