1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in a quantum state defined by:

[tex]\Phi[/tex](x)=0.917[tex]\Psi_1[/tex]+0.316[tex]\Psi_2[/tex]+0.224[tex]\Psi_3[/tex]+a[tex]\Psi_4[/tex]

where [tex]\Psi[/tex] are the eigenfunctions for a particle in a box given by [tex]\Psi_n[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{2/L}[/tex]sin(npix/L).

The corresponding eigenenergies are [tex]E_n[/tex]=1.5n^2eV

What is the probability that an energy measurement will find the particle in its first excited state?

2. Relevant equations

i was thinking to use the integral of the initial state, multiplied by the eigenstate with the energy corresponding to the first excited state, but i am not really sure, it is more of a guess, so if someone could explain the logic to me it would ve appreciated. i always get stuck on the probability questions when they refer to the probability of specific energy states or momentum states> so i would like to understand this concept instead of just copying a method.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's an axiom (some people call it the <Born rule>) telling you exactly what you need to find out: the probability of getting E_1 when measuring the energy. Search for it in your lecture notes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook