Quantum Numbers J,S and L in p+n and n+n system

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum numbers for the n+p and n+n systems, and the known spectroscopy of the deuteron. The total angular momentum J, total spin S, and relative orbital momentum L are represented in spectroscopic notation. The conversation also includes a discussion on the symmetry of the orbital part in the n+n system, where it needs to be antisymmetric for the entire state to be antisymmetric. This leads to ruling out certain states, such as ^3S_1, in the n+n system.
Fluffy86
Hey,
I have some problems concerning one of the exercises I got last week

Homework Statement

List the quantum numbers J,S,L (in spectroscopic notation [tex]^{2S+1}L_J[/tex] for partial waves of the n + p systemup to total angular momentum J=2
The quantum numbers J, S and L represent the total angular momentum, the total spin, and the relativ orbital momentum, repectively.
b) Repeat for the n+n system
c) Use the above information, together with the known spectroscopy of the deuteron, to explain why there are no bound states of two neutrons

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok first of all we can have S=0 or S=1. Then we go through the different L states.
With L=0: S L=1 : P L=2: D
S=0:
L=0: [tex]^1S_0[/tex]
L=1: [tex]^1P_1[/tex]
L=2: [tex]^1D_2[/tex]

Now I have some problems with the S=1 states. Let's assume we have L=1 and S=1. What values can J have. Is it the same as I learned for the electron orbits [tex]J=|L-S|..L+S[/tex]? So can J be in the example be 0,1 and 2?
When yes then I get 7 additional cases
S=1
L=0: [tex]^3S_1[/tex]
L=1: [tex]^3P_0 ^3P_1 ^3P_2[/tex]
L=2: [tex]^3D_1 ^3D_2[/tex]
L=3: [tex]^3F_2[/tex]

I have really no idea if this is correct or not. But when this is true I am not sure about the second part. Now we have a n+n system, this means we have to consider the Pauli principle. Which of the combination is than not allowed any longer? Of course the [tex]^3S_1[/tex] one, because then both have same spin. But are all S=1 states forbidden, even when they have a relative angular momentum?

In the last part the question about a bound state of 2 neutrons. I know that the ground state in the deuteron is the [tex]^3S_1[/tex] state. This one is not allowed in the 2 neutron system, but why not the next higher state is the ground state for the 2 neutrons?(e.g. the first excited state of the deuteron)

Would be really nice if you could help me
Best regards
Fluffy

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluffy86 said:
Ok, first of all we can have S=0 or S=1. Then we go through the different L states.
With L=0: S L=1 : P L=2: D
S=0:
L=0: [tex]^1S_0[/tex]
L=1: [tex]^1P_1[/tex]
L=2: [tex]^1D_2[/tex]

Now I have some problems with the S=1 states. Let's assume we have L=1 and S=1. What values can J have. Is it the same as I learned for the electron orbits [tex]J=|L-S|..L+S[/tex]? So can J be in the example be 0,1 and 2?
Yup.
When yes then I get 7 additional cases
S=1
L=0: [tex]^3S_1[/tex]
L=1: [tex]^3P_0, ^03P_1, ^3P_2[/tex]
L=2: [tex]^3D_1, ^3D_2[/tex]
L=3: [tex]^3F_2[/tex]

I have really no idea if this is correct or not.
Looks good.
But when this is true I am not sure about the second part. Now we have a n+n system, this means we have to consider the Pauli principle. Which of the combination is than not allowed any longer? Of course the [tex]^3S_1[/tex] one, because then both have same spin. But are all S=1 states forbidden, even when they have a relative angular momentum?
The symmetry of the entire state needs to be antisymmetric for the two-neutron system. The S=1 spin state is symmetric, so the orbital part of the state needs to be antisymmetric so that the state as a whole is antisymmetric.

Thx alot!
Do you mean with an antisymmetric orbital part that the L has to be 1 or 3 or how do I know what symmetry the orbital part has?

Fluffy

Fluffy86 said:
Do you mean with an antisymmetric orbital part that the L has to be 1 or 3 or how do I know what symmetry the orbital part has?
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm not sure how you'd subsequently rule those states out for the n-n system though.

hmm maybe it is possible to argue with the parity, the relative orbital momentum gives [tex](-1)^l[/tex] so in the n+n system and S=1 l has to be an odd number and in the S=0 and even number?
Or am I thinking totally wrong?

1. What is the significance of quantum numbers in a p+n and n+n system?

The quantum numbers J, S, and L represent different properties of the particles in a p+n and n+n system. J is the total angular momentum, S is the spin quantum number, and L is the orbital angular momentum. These numbers help describe the energy levels and behavior of the particles in the system.

2. How are the quantum numbers J, S, and L related in a p+n and n+n system?

In a p+n and n+n system, the quantum numbers J, S, and L are related by the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two particles can have the same set of quantum numbers. This means that the values of J, S, and L must be unique for each particle in the system.

3. How do the quantum numbers J, S, and L affect the stability of a p+n and n+n system?

The values of the quantum numbers J, S, and L determine the energy levels of the particles in the system. A lower energy level corresponds to a more stable configuration. Therefore, the quantum numbers can affect the stability of a p+n and n+n system by determining the energy levels of the particles.

4. Can the quantum numbers J, S, and L change in a p+n and n+n system?

Yes, the quantum numbers J, S, and L can change in a p+n and n+n system. This can occur through interactions with other particles or through the absorption or emission of energy. However, the values of these numbers must still follow the rules of quantum mechanics and the Pauli exclusion principle.

5. How do the quantum numbers J, S, and L affect the behavior of particles in a p+n and n+n system?

The quantum numbers J, S, and L determine the allowed energy levels and states of the particles in a p+n and n+n system. This, in turn, affects the behavior of the particles, such as their ability to interact with other particles and their stability. The values of these quantum numbers can also provide information about the physical properties of the particles.