What is the de Broglie wavelength of an electron accelerated by 75V?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electron accelerated by a potential difference of 75V and the calculation of its de Broglie wavelength using the equations P = h/λ and Ek = 1/2mv^2. The individual shares their attempt at solving the problem and asks for help in finding their mistake, which is likely a calculation error.
Brendanphys

Homework Statement

This is a problem I did during a test, and I am looking it over to see what I did wrong..

1. An Electron is accelerated by a potential difference of 75V. What is the de Broglie wavelength

Homework Equations

P = h/λ
Ek = 1/2mv^2
eV = 1.6E-19

The Attempt at a Solution

P = h/λ
λ = h/p (1)

Ek = 1/2mv^2
(2Ek/m)^1/2 (2)

Sub (1) into (2)
λ = h/p
λ = h/m((2Ek/m)^1/2)

I figured 75V = 75*eV = 75*(1.6E-19) = 1.2E-17J
So 1.2E-17J = Ek

I Plugged in all the known values into
λ = h/m((2Ek/m)^1/2)
and got the answer as: 1.4E21

Any clues as to what I did wrong? I assume it has something to do with my volt conversion, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its just a math error. The energy is fine.

Mass of a electron is 9.10938188*10^-31.

Try putting it into your calculator again.

There's nothing wrong with your equations. You probably just calculated the numbers incorrectly. Try again, and you should get 1.4e-10 m.

FAQ: What is the de Broglie wavelength of an electron accelerated by 75V?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles of nature that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. What is a quantum physics problem?

A quantum physics problem is a question or puzzle that involves the principles and mathematical equations of quantum physics. It may involve understanding the behavior of particles, calculating probabilities, or solving for unknown variables.

3. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand how the universe works at the smallest scales. It has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of transistors, lasers, and computers. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

4. What are some common challenges in solving quantum physics problems?

Some common challenges in solving quantum physics problems include the complexity of the mathematical equations, the counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics, and the difficulty in performing experiments at the quantum level.

5. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical physics deals with larger objects and systems. Quantum physics also introduces the concepts of superposition and entanglement, which have no classical analogues.