1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Probability Theory

1. Jul 22, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As I realized recently, the probability theory as used in quantum mechanics does not follow Kolmogorov's axioms. I am interested in a book that treats probability theory as it is done in quantum mechanics. Is this treated in books on quantum logic?

Any other good book on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics would be welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

It seems these von Neumann (W*) algebras are the main invention in this new type of probability. They seem to be an extension of C* algebras; the two volumes by Kadison & Ringrose about operator algebras cover them. There are also separate volumes by Jacques Diximier on C* algebras and W* algebras.

I also looked into the probability side of it. I see two books that seem related to what you want:

https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Su...7&sr=8-11&keywords=noncommutative+integration
    https://www.amazon.com/Theorems-Non...4&sr=8-14&keywords=noncommutative+integration

It seems very strange to me, though, that the first one is from 2011 while the second is from 1985.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Also have a look here, here, and here.

Strangely, there is a wikipedia entry for *-algebra, it was created in 2009 and as yet has no references listed. But someone obviously wrote it, so this may be a direction that things will go (I guess).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted