Quantum Problems: Qs on Eqns 2.49 & 2.50 p15/16

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
However, when the hamiltonian operator or time derivative is inside the bra or ket, it cannot be moved through using standard rules of algebra.
latentcorpse
I've attached my notes for this course that I'm taking.
I have a couple of questions about the material at the bottom of p15/top of p16.

Where does eqn 2.49 come from? Why is there an [itex]|x,t \rangle[/itex] on one side and a [itex]| x \rangle[/itex] on the other?

Where does eqn 2.50 come from? It's a rearranging of the line above essentially. But when i left multiply [itex]\hat{H}(t) | x,t \rangle = - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} | x,t \rangle[/itex] by [itex]\langle \psi |[/itex], i don't get the right result since i don't think we can move the psi ket through either the hamiltonian operator or the time derivative, can we?

Attachments

• Official Course Notes.pdf
    359.5 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
Eqn 2.49 comes from the definition of the Schrödinger equation, which states that for any wavefunction ψ(x,t), it must satisfy the equation: \hat{H}(t)|x,t \rangle = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} |x,t \rangle where \hat{H}(t) is the time-dependent Hamiltonian operator. To get Eqn 2.49, we simply rearrange the equation to isolate the wavefunction on one side: |x,t \rangle = e^{-i/\hbar \int^t_{t_0} \hat{H}(t') dt' }|x \rangle Eqn 2.50 is just the result of left multiplying both sides of Eqn 2.49 by \langle \psi | and using the fact that the bra and ket form of a wavefunction are related by a complex conjugate: \langle \psi | x,t \rangle = \langle \psi | e^{-i/\hbar \int^t_{t_0} \hat{H}(t') dt' }|x \rangle = \langle \psi(x) | e^{-i/\hbar \int^t_{t_0} \hat{H}(t') dt' }|x \rangle = \psi^*(x) e^{-i/\hbar \int^t_{t_0} \hat{H}(t') dt' }|x \rangle Therefore, Eqn 2.50 is simply a rearrangement of Eqn 2.49 and is valid since the bra and ket form of a wavefunction are related by a complex conjugate.

What are equations 2.49 and 2.50 on pages 15/16?

Equations 2.49 and 2.50 on pages 15/16 are part of the quantum mechanics formalism and represent the time evolution of a quantum system. These equations describe the change in a quantum state over time, taking into account the Hamiltonian operator and the initial state of the system.

How do equations 2.49 and 2.50 relate to quantum problems?

Equations 2.49 and 2.50 are fundamental equations in quantum mechanics and are used to solve various quantum problems. They allow us to determine the state of a quantum system at any point in time, given the initial state and the Hamiltonian operator.

What is the Hamiltonian operator in equations 2.49 and 2.50?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted as H, is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It includes the kinetic and potential energies of the particles in the system and is crucial in determining the time evolution of a quantum system.

Can equations 2.49 and 2.50 be solved analytically?

In most cases, equations 2.49 and 2.50 cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods to find a solution. However, there are some special cases where an analytical solution can be found, such as for simple systems like the harmonic oscillator.

What is the significance of equations 2.49 and 2.50 in quantum mechanics?

Equations 2.49 and 2.50 play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they allow us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. They are used in various applications, including quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum information theory.