Quantum Theory: derive EoM of action for a 'general' potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of motion for ##\phi## / ##\phi^*## using the Euler-Lagrange equations. The user provides an equation for the EoM and asks for help deriving it from first principles. Other users suggest using a given potential, such as ##V(\phi) = \lambda \phi^4##, to derive an explicit answer. The conversation also touches on the concept of functional expansion and the importance of considering both ##\delta \phi## and ##\delta \phi^*## in the expansion. Finally, the users discuss the importance of the relationship between ##\phi## and ##\phi^*## and how it affects the potential expansion.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Action attached:

everybodywantsapieceoftheaction.png

To find the EoM of ##\phi ## / ##\phi^* ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Without deriving from first principles, using E-L equations I have:

## \partial_{u}\frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} =0 ## to get the EoM for ## \phi * ##

So I get:

## -\partial_u \partial^u \phi* +m^2\phi*+ \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*} =0 ## (1)

MY QUESTION

Deriving this from first principles I am unsure how to work with the ## V(\phi \phi*) ## term to get the ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*}## in the EoM .

I.e deriving EoM via ##S'=S+\delta S+O(\delta^2 S)## via plugging in ##\phi \to \phi + \delta \phi ##
I get ## V(\phi \phi*) \to V(\phi^*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi^* ) ##

Now to get the EoM I want to factor out ##\delta \phi ## and ##\delta \phi^* ## from ##V(\phi*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi^* ) ## to get the EoM for ##\phi*## and ##\phi## respectively, arguing that the integrand multiplying the (e.g) ##\delta \phi ## must vanish since ##\delta \phi ## is arbitrary.

So using the equation (1) above, i.e. sort of cheating and not from first principles I suspect I should be able to show that,

## V(\phi*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi* ) = V(\phi*\delta \phi)+V(\phi \delta \phi* )= \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*}\delta\phi + \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\delta\phi* ##

I am unsure how to show this explicitly. my thoughts are perhaps integration by parts, but i',m confused with this working with the implicit expression of ##V##

Any help greatly appreciated. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be given a V(phi) to be able to go further. Often V(phi) = lambda phi^4 is chosen. Your approach is correct, but you need more information to get an explicit answer.

Why would you not just be able to do [itex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} = V'(\phi^* \phi) \phi^*[/itex]? Also, shouldn't it be [itex] V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) =V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* )+ V(\phi \phi^*+\phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) [/itex]?

All you write is correct, but I don't see how much farther you can go without knowing the exact form of the potential.

Dazed&Confused said:
Why would you not just be able to do [itex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} = V'(\phi^* \phi) \phi^*[/itex]? Also, shouldn't it be [itex] V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) =V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* )+ V(\phi \phi^*+\phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) [/itex]?

ahhh I see, yeh it should.
and what is the purpose of including the two middle terms in the last equality?

binbagsss said:
ahhh I see, yeh it should.
and what is the purpose of including the two middle terms in the last equality?

This is the beginning of writing it out as two derivatives, the physicist's way. Simply divide and multiply each by [itex] \delta \phi [/itex] and [itex]\delta \phi^*[/itex] respectively and take the infinitesimal limit.

Dazed&Confused said:
This is the beginning of writing it out as two derivatives, the physicist's way. Simply divide and multiply each by [itex] \delta \phi [/itex] and [itex]\delta \phi^*[/itex] respectively and take the infinitesimal limit.
I'm stuck:

##\frac{V(\phi(\phi*+\delta\phi*)}{\delta \phi} \delta \phi - \frac{V(\phi(\phi*+\delta\phi*)}{\delta \phi*} \delta \phi* ##
Looking at the limit definition of a derivative I don't see how I get derivatives.

so I need to expand out the potential.

Dazed&Confused said:
Why would you not just be able to do [itex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} = V'(\phi^* \phi) \phi^*[/itex]?
sorry what is this, what does the ' denote? is this derivative wrt ##\phi*##?

Last edited:
In order to derive EoM from first principle I need functional expansion right?
Is this given by:

##S[\phi+\delta \phi ] = S[\phi] + \frac{\partial S[\phi]}{\partial \phi} \delta{\phi} ## to the desired order.

But where I've computed ##\delta S ## explicitly, where this i given by the prefactor of ##\delta{\phi}## above, except for ##V[\phi,\phi*]##
So similarly I have
##V[\phi,\phi*]=V[\phi,\phi*]+\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi * [2] ##

------------------

I have just seen from the previous question that the Lagrangian given, under the transformation ##\phi \to \phi e^{i\epsilon} ## gives the same conserved current as it does without the potential. And in this case I know that ##\delta\phi=-\delta\phi* ## to ##O(\epsilon)=O(\delta)## (it's also obvious from ##V(\phi \phi*) ## without the expansion and keeping in exponential form where they cancel)..

Therefore looking at [2] I see that it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *=0##

##=-\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi} \delta\phi* + \frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} \delta\phi *##

so it must be that ##\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi}=\frac{\partial V[\phi,\phi*]}{\partial \phi*} ##

Is this true because rather than ##V[\phi,\phi*] ## we have ##V[\phi \phi*] ##
But then I should have a 1 variable taylor expansion rather than 2 variable as I treated it to get [2]?
How would I expand out something like ##V[\phi\phi* + \delta\phi* \phi + \delta \phi \phi*] ## treating ##\phi\phi*## as a single variable?

1. What is Quantum Theory?

Quantum Theory is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact with each other and with energy, and has led to many important discoveries in the field of physics.

2. What is the EoM of action?

The EoM (equation of motion) of action is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a particle or system based on its total energy and the forces acting upon it. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity related to the energy and time of the system.

3. How is the EoM of action derived for a 'general' potential?

To derive the EoM of action for a 'general' potential, one can use the Lagrangian formalism, which involves finding the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a system. This difference is then used to derive the equations of motion for the system, which can be used to describe the behavior of particles under the influence of a potential.

4. What is the significance of the EoM of action in quantum theory?

The EoM of action is an important equation in quantum theory as it allows us to predict the behavior of systems at a very small scale. It is used to describe the motion of particles in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the EoM of action in quantum theory?

While the EoM of action is a fundamental equation in quantum theory, it is not without its limitations. It is only applicable to systems with a well-defined energy and can become more complex when dealing with more than one particle. Additionally, it is a classical equation and does not take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.