Quantum Um vs Classical Um

In summary, the conversation discusses the contribution of molar internal energy (Um) to total energy and how it reverts to the classical expression at high temperatures. The classical expression for Um is 3NakT, while the quantum expression is 3NAhv/e^(hv/kT)-1. The conversation also mentions manipulating variables and rearranging the quantum equation. The concept of total energy is unclear and the speaker is unsure if Um should be added to E. Um is defined as internal energy and is related to the failures of classical physics in terms of heat capacities. It is also mentioned that Einstein calculated the contribution of atoms' oscillation to the total molar energy of metal, resulting in the quantum equation. The speaker expresses confusion and
plonker

Homework Statement

I'm so confused please help :\

Show that the contribution to the total energy from molar internal energy Um reverts to the classical expression at high T.

Homework Equations

Classical: Um = 3NakT Quantum Um = 3NAhv/e^(hv/kT)-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Manipulating variables- E=hv
Quantum rearranging: hv/kT= ln(3Nahv)-ln(Um)
Very confused on what is meant by total energy though. Is that supposed to be E+Um?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pardon my ignorance (I have never heard of this in all my years in physics), but what is Um?

My teacher said it was "internal energy, U" but while in the context of the failures of classical physics in terms of heat capacities. Apparently Einstein calculated the contribution of the oscillation of the atoms to the total molar energy of metal and obtained the quantum equation above in place of the classical one? I'm so nervous for this course now :\

I am assuming that for high T you can manipulate [itex] e^{\frac{h \nu}{k T}}[/itex]. Try this.

Hi there,

I understand that this may be a confusing topic, but I will try my best to explain it to you. The content is discussing the difference between classical and quantum expressions for molar internal energy (Um). Molar internal energy is the average energy per mole of a substance. In classical mechanics, Um is given by Um = 3NakT, where N is the number of particles, a is the average energy per particle, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

In quantum mechanics, the expression for Um is more complex and takes into account the quantum nature of particles. It is given by Um = 3NAhv/e^(hv/kT)-1, where h is the Planck constant and v is the frequency of the particles. This expression becomes important at low temperatures when the quantum effects become more significant.

Now, the homework statement is asking you to show that at high temperatures, the quantum expression for Um reverts back to the classical expression. This is because at high temperatures, the classical expression becomes dominant and the quantum effects become negligible. To show this mathematically, you can take the limit of the quantum expression as T→∞. This will result in the quantum expression simplifying to Um = 3NakT, which is the classical expression.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept. If you are still confused, I suggest reviewing your notes or textbook for a more detailed explanation. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the difference between quantum and classical computing?

Quantum computing is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, utilizing quantum bits (qubits) to process and store information. Classical computing, on the other hand, uses classical bits (0s and 1s) to perform calculations. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

2. How do quantum computers store and process information?

Quantum computers use qubits, which can represent multiple values at the same time, unlike classical bits which can only represent one value at a time. This allows quantum computers to process and store vast amounts of information simultaneously, making them much more powerful than classical computers.

3. What types of problems can quantum computers solve?

Quantum computers excel at solving problems that involve large amounts of data and complex calculations. They are particularly well-suited for optimization problems, cryptography, and simulations of quantum systems.

4. What are the limitations of quantum computing?

One of the main limitations of quantum computing is the fragility of qubits. They can easily be affected by external factors, such as temperature and noise, which can lead to errors in calculations. This makes it difficult to maintain the stability of the system, and limits the size and complexity of problems that can be solved.

5. How will quantum computing impact our daily lives?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries, such as finance, healthcare, and transportation. It can enable faster and more accurate simulations, leading to advancements in drug discovery, weather forecasting, and financial modeling. However, it is still in its early stages and may take some time before it has a widespread impact on our daily lives.