Quasi(Almost) Equilibrium(Static) Processes <-> Real Life Processes

• Thread starter premie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, quasi-equilibrium processes are not thermodynamically reversible, and real-life processes are not quasi-static.
premie
Quasi(Almost) Equilibrium(Static) Processes <---> Real Life Processes

Hi,

I am posting here for the first time, hence, should I have violated any forum rules I am sorry and kindly advise.

I am a novice so please bear with me. Thank you.

I read everywhere (in textbooks) that a quasiequilibrium or a quasistatic process is an ideal process and we try to achieve same whilst modelling any system. But in reality we get close to quasiequilibrium or quasistatic but never overlap the ideal form of it. Just able to get as closer as we can to a quasiequilibrium or quasistatic.

Now my question is, in real life I have seen heat engines and heat pumps working really fast. This is what I observe. Should I look at the vapor compression air conditioners (heat pump) or 4 Wheeler's IC Engine (heat engine). They all work really really fast. So how are they said to be almost quasistatic/quasiequilibrium?

Quasistatic/quasiequilibrium are also said to be reversible. Now when these real life equipments are working helluva fast, how can the processes going inside them are termed to be reversible?

Please help me out of this predicament.

Physics news on Phys.org
Real life engine cycles are not reversible for the reasons you cited.

dauto said:
Real life engine cycles are not reversible for the reasons you cited.

Thanks for your reply, dauto.

Yes. Forget (heat) Engines. I'd speculate they aren't reversible as the chemical reaction, in their circumstance, cannot be reversed.

I wanted to ask that (heat) Pumps, albeit working really fast, are said to be reversible/quasistatic.

Take, for example, only the 'compression branch' of the whole vapor compression cycle. It is said to be reversible, despite of the fact that in real life the refrigerant goes from saturated vapor to a superheated vapor very very rapidly.

How is it said to be reversible, although its going so fast?

• Is it said to be reversible because it is able to come to the initial state after going through few stages?

• Would that imply reversible just not only means, going 2 → 1 should have gone 1 → 2 initially, but that 1 → 2 → 3 → 4 → 1 is also reversible?

This would help modify my understanding of 'reversible' processes.
Thanks.

In practice, processes are not quasi-static and not thermodynamically reversible. They may be considered as quasi-static because they are still quite slow compared to time of relaxation of non-equilibrium state they go through. This is useful because quasi-static process are easily described mathematically.

Thank you Jano L.
Starting to make sense now.

I have also read that this was idealized (i.e. compression branch in the vapor-compression cycle, idealized to be reversible adiabatic).

In reality, it is not ideal but the entropy increases a little by the time the super heated vapor leaves the compressor. Hence real (Δs ≠ 0) , but not ideal (Δs = 0).

1. What is a quasi-equilibrium process?

A quasi-equilibrium process is a thermodynamic process in which the system remains in thermal, mechanical, and chemical equilibrium at all times. This means that the system is in a state of balance and there is no net transfer of energy or matter across its boundaries. Quasi-equilibrium processes are often used in theoretical models and calculations for simplicity, but they do not necessarily reflect real-life processes which may involve fluctuations and changes over time.

2. How do quasi-equilibrium processes differ from real-life processes?

In real-life processes, there are often changes in temperature, pressure, and other variables over time. These changes can lead to fluctuations and deviations from equilibrium. Quasi-equilibrium processes, on the other hand, assume that the system remains in equilibrium at all times, which is not always the case in real-life situations.

3. What are some examples of quasi-equilibrium processes?

Some examples of quasi-equilibrium processes include a gas expanding or compressing slowly enough that it maintains the same temperature as its surroundings, a liquid evaporating at a constant rate, or a chemical reaction proceeding slowly enough that the system remains in equilibrium at all times.

4. Why are quasi-equilibrium processes used in scientific models and calculations?

Quasi-equilibrium processes are used in scientific models and calculations because they simplify the analysis and make it easier to solve complex thermodynamic problems. By assuming that the system remains in equilibrium at all times, the calculations become more straightforward and accurate. However, it is important to keep in mind that real-life processes may not always behave in the same way as quasi-equilibrium processes.

5. How can we apply the concept of quasi-equilibrium processes to real-life situations?

While real-life processes may not be in a state of equilibrium at all times, the concept of quasi-equilibrium can still be useful in understanding and predicting their behavior. By considering the changes and fluctuations that may occur during a real-life process, we can make more accurate predictions and design systems that can handle these variations. Quasi-equilibrium processes can also serve as a starting point for more complex analyses and models that take into account non-equilibrium factors.