Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Aerospace Engineering

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    Hi. I am becoming very interested in taking an Aerospace Engineering course at University in a couple of years. I am wondering if to be Knowledgeable and Successful in Aero-Eng, is a degree in, or at least some knowledge in Mechanical Engineering required or reccommended at least? I ask because from what I have read so far, Mechanical Engineering seems to be base of Aero-Eng, as in, you take Mechanical Engineering, and then expand into Aerospace Engineering. Is that true? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2007 #2
    No, but they are very similar majors. You take some of the same courses but with different applications. One is not "based" of the other.
  4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    Thanks, that's what I was wanting to know. Regarding Schools, which Universities in Canada offer good Aerospace Engineering courses? This Course at U of T sparked my attention: http://www.prospective.engineering.utoronto.ca/skule/undergraduate/engsci.htm Basicly it's 2 years of general engineering study, then 2 years of your choice, I would choose Aero-Eng. Is that the kind of course I should be looking into?
  5. Jul 16, 2007 #4

D H

Staff: Mentor

The answer to your first question is "it depends". Aerospace engineering is but a discipline within mechanical engineering at some colleges, joined at the hip with mechanical (e.g., School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering) in some more, and a completely separate from mechanical at other colleges. As far as Canadian schools go, McGill has a very well-regarded aero program. I don't know about U of T.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?