Question about Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in taking an Aerospace Engineering course at a university in the future. They inquire about the requirement or recommendation for a degree or knowledge in Mechanical Engineering for success in Aerospace Engineering. The response is that while the two majors are similar, one is not based on the other. The speaker then asks about good universities in Canada for Aerospace Engineering, specifically mentioning the program offered at U of T. The reply is that it depends on the college, with some offering Aerospace Engineering within Mechanical Engineering and others as a separate discipline. McGill is mentioned as having a reputable Aerospace Engineering program.
LazyLlama
Hi. I am becoming very interested in taking an Aerospace Engineering course at University in a couple of years. I am wondering if to be Knowledgeable and Successful in Aero-Eng, is a degree in, or at least some knowledge in Mechanical Engineering required or reccommended at least? I ask because from what I have read so far, Mechanical Engineering seems to be base of Aero-Eng, as in, you take Mechanical Engineering, and then expand into Aerospace Engineering. Is that true? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but they are very similar majors. You take some of the same courses but with different applications. One is not "based" of the other.

Thanks, that's what I was wanting to know. Regarding Schools, which Universities in Canada offer good Aerospace Engineering courses? This Course at U of T sparked my attention: http://www.prospective.engineering.utoronto.ca/skule/undergraduate/engsci.htm Basicly it's 2 years of general engineering study, then 2 years of your choice, I would choose Aero-Eng. Is that the kind of course I should be looking into?

The answer to your first question is "it depends". Aerospace engineering is but a discipline within mechanical engineering at some colleges, joined at the hip with mechanical (e.g., School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering) in some more, and a completely separate from mechanical at other colleges. As far as Canadian schools go, McGill has a very well-regarded aero program. I don't know about U of T.

What is Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, construction, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. It combines principles from various fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and materials science to create safe and efficient aerospace systems.

What are the main areas of focus in Aerospace Engineering?

The main areas of focus in Aerospace Engineering include aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, materials, and control systems. Aerodynamics deals with the study of air flow and how it affects the movement of aircraft. Propulsion involves the design and development of engines to generate thrust. Structures and materials are important for ensuring the safety and durability of aircraft. Control systems are used to guide and control the movement of aircraft.

What skills are required to become an Aerospace Engineer?

To become an Aerospace Engineer, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also possess problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Knowledge of CAD software and programming languages is also beneficial in this field.

What are some career opportunities in Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering graduates can pursue careers in various industries such as commercial and military aircraft design and manufacturing, space exploration and research, and defense systems. They can also work in government agencies, research organizations, and consulting firms.

What are some current challenges in Aerospace Engineering?

Some current challenges in Aerospace Engineering include reducing the environmental impact of air travel, developing more efficient propulsion systems, and improving the safety and reliability of aircraft and spacecraft. There is also a growing need for sustainable and cost-effective solutions in the industry.