Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Ampere's law in vacuum and in matter

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hi

We can derive equation [itex]\nabla.D=\rho_f[/itex] from equation [itex]\nabla.E=\rho/\epsilon_0[/itex]. But what about Ampere's law? I tried to derive [itex]\nabla\times{H}=J_f+\partial{D}/\partial{t}[/itex] from [itex]\nabla\times{B}=\mu_0J+\epsilon_0\mu_0\partial{E}/\partial{t}[/itex] but I could not. This is strange because I thought that Maxwell's equations in vacuum are enough for studying electromagnetic field in any matter and that Maxwell's equations in matter are derivable from them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

mfb

2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are, if you add some assumptions about the material - D proportional (and parallel) to E and so on.
    For materials where this is not true, I don't know.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    [itex]\partial{D}/\partial{t}=\epsilon_0\partial{E}/\partial{t}+\partial{P}/\partial{t}[/itex]. The second term is underivable from Ampere's law in vacuum.

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

mfb

2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

Add the assumption that ##D \propto E##, and it works.

In general, this can be wrong, but I don't know if the regular Maxwell equations work there at all. If ##\epsilon_r## is a tensor (or nonlinear), things can get difficult.

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    Dear mfb,

I think I found the solution. [itex]\partial{P}/\partial{t}[/itex] is some kind of current (bound charges are moving). So if we write total current density as [itex]J=J_f+\nabla\times{M}+J_p[/itex] where [itex]J_p[/itex] is polarization current density, we can solve the problem.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?