Calculating Velocity of a 2.0kg Object Subjected to Time-Varying Force at t=4s

• Thread starter Baaadshah87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Dynamics involving an object initially at rest being subjected to a time-varying force. The solution involves finding the object's velocity at t=4s using the equation V(f) = V(i) + area under the acceleration vs. time graph. The person initially got a wrong answer (-6m/s) due to using the wrong graph and not taking into account the relation between acceleration and force. The correct approach would be to find the area under the acceleration vs. time graph to get the acceleration at t=4s, and then use this value to find the object's velocity.
Baaadshah87
urgent !Question about Dynamics

Homework Statement

A 2.0kg object initially at rest at the origin is subjected to the time-varying force shown in the figure .
What is the object's velocity at t= 4s

knight_Figure_05_26.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation V(f) = V(i) + area under the curve from 0s to t
My solution was -6m/s I got that wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
First things first, you are using the wrong graph when you are finding the area under the curve. You want the area under the acceleration vs. time graph, not the force vs. time graph.

Also, think about your answer. It should not be negative. Can you tell me why?HINT: How can you relate acceleration to force? If you are able to answer this, can you use this relation to get an acceleration vs. time graph from the force vs. time graph?

Last edited:

I would first clarify the given information and make sure that the figure and the given equation are accurate and applicable to the problem. I would also ask for any additional information that may be needed to solve the problem accurately.

If the given equation is correct and applicable, then I would proceed with solving the problem by plugging in the given values. In this case, we have V(i) = 0 m/s, t = 4s, and the area under the curve can be calculated using the formula for the area of a trapezoid. Once I have the correct value for the area, I would then use the given equation to solve for V(f), which should give the correct velocity at t=4s.

It is also important to consider the units of the given values and make sure they are consistent. If the given values are in different units, then they should be converted to the same unit before plugging them into the equation.

In addition, I would also check if the given force is a net force or if there are other forces acting on the object. This could affect the velocity calculation and should be taken into consideration.

Lastly, I would double-check my calculations and make sure I have the correct sign for the velocity. If my solution still does not match the given answer, then I would carefully review my calculations and check for any mistakes.

FAQ: Calculating Velocity of a 2.0kg Object Subjected to Time-Varying Force at t=4s

What is the definition of dynamics in science?

In science, dynamics refers to the study of the forces and motions of objects.

What are the three laws of dynamics?

The three laws of dynamics are: 1) Newton's First Law - objects at rest stay at rest and objects in motion stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, 2) Newton's Second Law - force equals mass times acceleration, and 3) Newton's Third Law - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics deals with the equilibrium of forces on stationary objects, while dynamics deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

What are some real-life applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, analyzing the forces on a moving car, or designing roller coasters.

How is dynamics used in engineering?

In engineering, dynamics is used to design and control machines and structures, such as bridges, airplanes, and cars. It helps engineers understand how forces will affect the motion of these objects and how to optimize their design for safety and efficiency.

Back