Question about finding av. Power from V(t) and I(t)

• Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the average power dissipated by a system is not simply the product of the average voltages and currents.
Master1022

Homework Statement

We know that V(t) = f(t) and I(t) = g(t), which have been found by Fourier Series analysis and some approximations.

The next part of the problem is about finding the average power disappated by the system. I was wondering whether I would be able to take averages of both of the functions independently and then multiply them, or whether I just need to multiply everything out?

So perhaps to put it concisely, does: $$P_{av} = V_{av} \times I_{av} ?$$

Homework Equations

[tex] f_{av} = \frac{1}{T} \int_0^T f(t) \, dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just rather not multiply the expressions out and deal with all the extra arithmetic if possible. However, if I can integrate them separately and multiply, I feel as if I have divided by T^2 as opposed to just T.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
if I can integrate them separately and multiply
That is not going to work. Consider two sequences of numbers, both 1, 2, 3. The average product is 14/3, but the product of the averages is 4.

Likes gneill
You could test your theory by considering a simple circuit with a 1 V voltage source, a switch, and a 1 Ω load. Say the switch is open initially and closes at time t = 1 s. The cycle is complete at time t = 2 s when the switch opens again. You have a period of T = 2 s for the cycle.

Calculate the average voltage over the period. Calculate the average current over the period. Calculate the average power over the period. Does the product ##V_{av} \cdot I_{av} = P_{av}##?

Spoiler: No. :smile:

Yes, you have to integrate the product, not multiply the separate integrals.

Another example: Sine voltage across an inductor. The product of separate voltage and current averages calculates to a non-zero average power which you know is incorrect.

1. How do I calculate average power using voltage and current?

To calculate average power, you can use the formula P = V(t) x I(t), where V(t) is the voltage and I(t) is the current at a specific time. This will give you the instantaneous power at that time. To find the average power, you will need to integrate this equation over a specific time interval.

2. What is the difference between average power and instantaneous power?

Average power is the average amount of power consumed or produced over a certain period of time, while instantaneous power is the power at a specific moment in time. Average power takes into account the fluctuations in power over time, while instantaneous power only gives the power at a single moment.

3. Can I use the average power formula for AC circuits?

Yes, you can use the same formula P = V(t) x I(t) for AC circuits. However, since both voltage and current are constantly changing in AC circuits, you will need to use the root mean square (RMS) values for both voltage and current in the formula. RMS values take into account the magnitude and direction of the alternating current and voltage.

4. How does the load affect average power?

The load, or the resistance in the circuit, affects the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This, in turn, affects the amount of power consumed or produced. A higher load will result in a higher current, and therefore, a higher average power. On the other hand, a lower load will result in a lower current and average power.

5. Can I use the average power formula for DC circuits?

Yes, you can use the average power formula for DC circuits as well. In DC circuits, both the voltage and current remain constant, so the formula P = V(t) x I(t) will give you the average power directly without the need for integration. However, if the voltage and current vary over time in a DC circuit, you will need to use the integration method to find the average power.