Question about forces over time

In summary: This is called the Impulse-momentum theorem.In summary, forces can be described as a push or a pull that results in a change in momentum and acceleration. When solving problems involving forces over a time interval, the equation F = ma may not be sufficient and the use of SUVAT equations of motion may be necessary. The resulting acceleration can be calculated using a = f/m, but for other questions such as final velocity or distance traveled, different equations may be needed. Additionally, the impulse-momentum theorem states that the impulse (force * time) is equal to the change in momentum.
Mr Davis 97
I am a little confused about forces when time is considered. I understand the nature of forces, ie that they are a push or a pull and that they induce a change in momentum and thus an acceleration. However, my question is, how could we solve such a problem as "If a force of 2 N is applied to a 4 kg block for 6 seconds, what is the resulting acceleration?" When solving force problems, we usually always refer to Newton's second law, F = ma, but I do not see how this equation helps solving problems that involve the application of force over a time interval.

As a side note, if given a problem such as "If a force of 4 N is applied to a 2 kg box, what is the resulting acceleration?" Is 2 m/s^2 really the correct answer? What if we apply the 4 N for 0.5 s rather than 0.1 s? How does F = ma take this into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
F = ma, but I do not see how this equation helps solving problems that involve the application of force over a time interval.
It doesn't. It relates instantaneous values at some time point.

Mr Davis 97 said:
However, my question is, how could we solve such a problem as "If a force of 2 N is applied to a 4 kg block for 6 seconds, what is the resulting acceleration?
The acceleration is constant 0.5m/s^2 during those 6s. You can use the time to find the change in velocity and position.

If you consider Newtons f = m * a
But a ( acceleration ) = velocity change (vc) / time
So you get:
f = m * ( vc / t )
vc is what you want

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am a little confused about forces when time is considered. I understand the nature of forces, ie that they are a push or a pull and that they induce a change in momentum and thus an acceleration. However, my question is, how could we solve such a problem as "If a force of 2 N is applied to a 4 kg block for 6 seconds, what is the resulting acceleration?" When solving force problems, we usually always refer to Newton's second law, F = ma, but I do not see how this equation helps solving problems that involve the application of force over a time interval.

You only need a=f/m to calculate the resulting acceleration. However part 2 might ask "How fast is it going after 6 seconds?" or "how far has it traveled after 10 seconds"? For that you need different equations. In my school days we learned the SUVAT equations of motion which are mentioned in here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Uniform_acceleration

They apply to situations where the acceleration is uniform (constant).

Mr Davis 97 said:
As a side note, if given a problem such as "If a force of 4 N is applied to a 2 kg box, what is the resulting acceleration?" Is 2 m/s^2 really the correct answer?

Yes.

What if we apply the 4 N for 0.5 s rather than 0.1 s? How does F = ma take this into account?

The acceleration will be 2m/s^2 in both cases. However it only continues to accelerate for as long as the force is applied. If the force stops the object will stop accelerating and will then coast along at whatever velocity it had achieved when the force stopped. One of the SUVAT equations is...

V = U + at
where
V = final velocity
U = initial velocity (zero)
a = acceleration
t = time

So if the force is applied for 0.1 seconds the velocity V is...

V = 0 + 2*0.1
= 0.2m/s

If the force is applied for 0.5 seconds the final velocity is

V = 0 + 2*0.5
= 1m/s

Its interesting to note that the impulse ( ( constant ) force * time ) = the momentum change.

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the strength or power of a push or pull on an object.

How does force affect motion over time?

Force can change the speed, direction, or shape of an object's motion over time. It can also cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its state of motion.

What are the different types of forces?

The main types of forces are gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other common forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

How do forces interact with each other over time?

Forces can interact with each other in different ways over time, depending on their direction and magnitude. They can cancel each other out, combine to produce a net force, or act in opposite directions to create equilibrium.

How can forces be measured and calculated over time?

Forces are typically measured in units of Newtons (N). They can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma).