How do you find the parameters for line integrals in different shapes?

In summary: For example, in the x=cos t case, cosine is a good candidate because it is a trigonometric function and it is a symmetric function.
sebastianzx6r
How do you find the parameters for x,y,z and so forth. The examples in the book always use x=cos t and y=sint, but I know that there are more options. I'm just lost as to how to look at it.

For example

the line integral xy^4 ds, C is the right half of the circle x^2+y^2=16

I know this that eq. is a circle with origin as center and radius 4. So when it ways right half circle does that mean the parts of the circle in quadrants I and IV? And what parameters would you use and how would you know? What do you ask yourselves when you are working a problem like this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really any general method to parametrize any curve. Whenever you are working with a circle (or section of one) using x=cos(t), y=sin(t) for some values of t is the way to go.

In your example, you would parametrize the right half of that circle as:
x=4cos(t)
y=4sin(t)
where -pi/2<t<pi/2

To parametrize a curve, you just need to develop intuition. Mostly you'll be looking for trigonometric relationships (for closed curves), and polynomial relations. for open curves

x=acost
y=bsint

Is a general elliptical curve with axes of a and b. This is probably the most often used one

If it is possible to write y as a function of x: y= f(x) then you can use x itself as "parameter". More formally, x= t, y= f(t).

There are, if fact, an infinite number of different ways to parametrize any curve.

The examples in the book always use x=cos t and y=sint, but I know that there are more options.
That's presumably because the examples in the book are always about circles of radius 1! x2+ y2= cos2 t+ sin2 t= 1.

The example Office Shredder gave, x= acos t, y= b sin t, is an ellipse because
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= \frac{a^2 cos^2 t}{a^2}+ \frac{b^2 sin^2 t}{b^2}= cos^2 t+ sin^2 t= 1[/itex]

There is no single way to determine parametric equations (as I said before, there are an infinite number of possibilities). Typically, one uses some kind of geometric property of the curve.

Related to How do you find the parameters for line integrals in different shapes?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function along a specific path or curve in the given space.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves integrating along a specific path or curve, rather than over a specific interval. This path can be any curve in the given space, whereas a regular integral only considers intervals on a single axis.

3. What is the purpose of a line integral?

The purpose of a line integral is to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It can also be used to find the work done by a force along a specific path, as well as to calculate the flux of a vector field through a curve.

4. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parametrize the curve over which you are integrating. This involves expressing the curve as a function of a single variable. Then, you integrate the given function with respect to this variable, over the specified limits of the curve.

5. In what applications are line integrals commonly used?

Line integrals have various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force, finding the mass of a wire, and determining the electric and magnetic fields of a charged particle. They are also used in economics and finance to calculate profit or loss over a specific time period.