What is the normal force on a child going down an inclined slide?

In summary, a 23 kg child is going down a 38-degree inclined slide and is acted on by their weight, the normal force from the slide, and kinetic friction. Using the equations Fnet=ma and Fnety=ay, it is determined that the normal force of the slide on the child is 177.6 N. The x and y components of the weight were also taken into account.
sona1177

Homework Statement

A 23 kg child goes down a straight slide inclined 38 degrees above horizontal. The child is acted on by his weight, the normal force from the slide, and kinetic friction. How large if the normal force of the slide on the child.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fnety=ay

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet=ma
Fnety=may
Kfy + ny + wy=may=0 where Kf stands for kinetic friction, n stands for the normal force, and w stands for the weight.

0+ n-(222.4cos38)=0
0 + n-177.6=0
n=177.6

225.4 is the weight. I drew the triangle to find the x and y components of the weight such that the angle being given was = to the value of theta i used. Is 177.4 N for the the normal force correct? I want to make sure my equations are correct also because I just started doing problems where you have to break the weight into x and y components. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it is correct in principle, but you should state the direction of your coordinate axis: the x-axis is parallel to the slope and points downward, y is normal to the slope and points upward.

Take a bit more care to the numbers you type in, and do not omit the units. The y component of the weight is mgcos(38°)=177.6 N, not 177.4, and mg=225.4 N, not 222.4.

ehild

ehild said:
Well, it is correct in principle, but you should state the direction of your coordinate axis: the x-axis is parallel to the slope and points downward, y is normal to the slope and points upward.

Take a bit more care to the numbers you type in, and do not omit the units. The y component of the weight is mgcos(38°)=177.6 N, not 177.4, and mg=225.4 N, not 222.4.

ehild

Thanks, I'll be more careful next time! :)

1. What is the definition of normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object.

2. How is the magnitude of normal force calculated?

The magnitude of normal force is calculated using the formula FN = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the object's weight vector.

3. What is the difference between normal force and weight?

Normal force and weight are two different types of forces. Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object's mass. Normal force is always perpendicular to the surface, while weight is always directed towards the center of the earth.

4. Can normal force be negative?

No, normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in the direction perpendicular to the surface and can only have a positive value. If the object is in contact with a surface at an angle, the normal force can be less than the weight of the object, but it will still be a positive value.

5. How does the normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion. It is a reactive force that balances out the applied force of an object, allowing it to remain in contact with the surface. However, the normal force can indirectly affect an object's motion by changing the direction or magnitude of the object's velocity when it bounces off a surface.