Question about recommendations

• Thread starter Scott1972
  • Start date
In summary, when applying to graduate school for physics, it is ideal to have recommendations from academic sources, particularly if you have done undergraduate research. If this is not possible, recommendations from recent employers or professionals who have known you for a significant amount of time can also be helpful. It is important to have both academic and professional references to showcase your skills and strengths in both areas.
Scott1972
I'm applying to graduate school for physics and am wondering what to do about recommendations.

It has been more than 10 years since I received my undergraduate degrees in math and physics and since then I've bounced around between the military, writing software, and doing system administration.

Do the recommendations need to be from academics sources or can I have my most recent employers write them?

If they must be from former teachers is it acceptable to request them from professors from long ago?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
They usually have to be from academic sources. If you ever did any kind of undergraduate research, the supervisor would be the person to ask for a reference. Although it may be possible to get references from former profs, ten years is a long time, and if they cannot recall who you are, then they won't have anything to say.

Getting reference letters is one tough process if you never did any academic research, and I'm glad I got it over with.

-Good luck.

I have seen recommendations from nearly every source- academic, summer job, etc.

I would suggest you try and get at least one recommendation from one of your undergraduate professors, which may not be easy given the time lag. But, those letters are the easiest to place into an academic context (meaning the qualities they are evaluating you on are academic in nature, not industrial/military). That is, a reference saying you are a great employee is fine, but being a great employee requires different skills than being a great student.

However, it's also important to have a recommendation from someone who knows you more recently as well. You used the phrase "bounced around..", do you have any (professional) reference who has known you for more than a few years? If you have a few candidates, make sure they understand to emphasize things like 'learning new skills', 'can train others', etc. etc.

1. What is the purpose of asking for recommendations?

Asking for recommendations can serve multiple purposes, such as seeking advice, comparing options, or making informed decisions. It allows individuals to gather different perspectives and insights from others who have experience or expertise in a particular area.

2. How do I know if a recommendation is reliable?

The reliability of a recommendation can depend on various factors such as the source, the credibility of the person making the recommendation, and the evidence or reasoning behind it. It is important to consider these factors and do additional research before making a decision based on a recommendation.

3. Can I trust online recommendations?

Online recommendations can be helpful, but they should be taken with a grain of salt. It is important to consider the source and potential biases or incentives. Additionally, reading multiple recommendations and reviews can provide a more well-rounded understanding.

4. How can I politely decline a recommendation?

If you do not want to follow a recommendation, it is best to be honest and respectful. You can thank the person for their suggestion and explain why you are not able to follow it at this time. It is also important to offer an alternative solution or ask for their understanding.

5. Is it necessary to follow all recommendations?

No, it is not necessary to follow all recommendations. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide which recommendations align with their values and goals. It is important to consider all recommendations and make a decision based on what is best for you.