Question about reverse tracing the Einstein field equations

In summary, to get the reverse trace form of the Einstein field equations, you must multiply both sides by gab. This yields R = -kT, as seen in many sources. The negative sign is due to the sign signature of (- + + +). The derivation is shown in Baez's lecture notes.
space-time
From what I know, to get the reverse trace form of the Einstein field equations, you must multiply both sides by gab (I didn't have a lot of time to make this thread so I did not spend time finding the Greek letters in the latex).

This turns:

Rab- [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gabR= kTab (where k= (8[itex]\pi[/itex]G)/c4)

into this:

R- [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]R = kT

which equals:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]R = kT

which yields

R= 2kT= LT (I set L= 2k).

However, many sources say that the reverse trace is:

R= -LT

Why is it negative? Is it based on sign signature?

Note that I general, I use (- + + +) signature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that ##g^{ab}g_{ab}=4## when you do the summation.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
Your problem is that ##g^{ab}g_{ab}=4## when you do the summation.

So then this yields:

R-2R= kT

which equals

-R = kT

which yields:

R = -kT

I presume that this is the correct process. Is this what you are getting at? If so then I get it now. Thank you.

space-time said:
So then this yields:

R-2R= kT

which equals

-R = kT

which yields:

R = -kT

I presume that this is the correct process. Is this what you are getting at? If so then I get it now. Thank you.

It looks right. I think Baez has some lecture notes that do the derivation online that go through this, if you haven't seen them already (I suspect it could be your source).

The sign of the reverse trace of the Einstein field equations is indeed based on the signature of the metric tensor, which determines the sign convention for the curvature tensor. In your example, you have used a (+ - - -) signature, which is commonly used in general relativity. In this case, the reverse trace form of the equations would indeed be R= -LT.

However, some sources may use a different signature convention, such as (- + + +) or (- - - -). In these cases, the sign of the reverse trace would be different. It is important to be aware of the signature convention being used in order to correctly interpret the equations.

Additionally, it is worth noting that the reverse trace form of the Einstein field equations is not always used in general relativity. It is often more convenient to work with the original form of the equations, and the reverse trace form is only useful in certain specific cases. So it is not necessarily always relevant to consider the sign of the reverse trace.

In summary, the sign of the reverse trace of the Einstein field equations is determined by the signature convention being used, and it is important to be aware of this convention in order to correctly interpret the equations.

1. What are the Einstein field equations?

The Einstein field equations are a set of ten non-linear partial differential equations that describe the gravitational field in the theory of general relativity. They were developed by Albert Einstein in 1915 and are considered one of the cornerstones of modern physics.

2. What is reverse tracing the Einstein field equations?

Reverse tracing the Einstein field equations involves taking the known solutions of the equations and using them to infer the properties of the spacetime geometry that produced them. This can provide insight into the nature of gravity and the behavior of matter in the universe.

3. Why is reverse tracing the Einstein field equations important?

Reverse tracing the Einstein field equations allows scientists to better understand the relationship between matter and the spacetime geometry it inhabits. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as black holes, and for making predictions about the evolution of the universe.

4. What are some applications of reverse tracing the Einstein field equations?

Reverse tracing the Einstein field equations has many practical applications, such as in the development of accurate models for gravitational waves and in the study of cosmology and the large-scale structure of the universe. It is also important in the field of astrophysics, where it is used to understand the behavior of celestial bodies and their interactions with each other.

5. Are there any current challenges in reverse tracing the Einstein field equations?

While reverse tracing the Einstein field equations has been a valuable tool for understanding the universe, there are still many unanswered questions and challenges in this field. For example, the equations are difficult to solve for complex systems and there is ongoing research to improve the accuracy and applicability of the solutions. Additionally, the equations do not fully account for the effects of quantum mechanics, making it a subject of ongoing research and debate.