Non static and isotropic solution for Einstein Field Eq

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a non-diagonal term on the Ricci tensor in a non-static and spherically symmetric solution to the Einstein field equation. It is concluded that for non-vacuum solutions, there will be an (r,t) Ricci term, but for vacuum solutions, the Ricci tensor will be identically zero. The conversation also touches on the differences between spherically symmetric and isotropic solutions, and the formulation of the non-static assumption in the ansatz for a spherically symmetric solution. Finally, the role of Birkhoff's theorem in proving the staticity of the BH exterior and the existence of an axial extra killing field is mentioned, with the caveat that the interior of a
Leonardo Machado
Hello dear friends, today's question is:

In a non static and spherically simetric solution for Einstein field equation, will i get a non diagonal term on Ricci tensor ? A R[r][/t] term ?

I'm getting it, but not sure if it is right.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that spherically symmetric is not the same as isotropic. Your title says one, your post says another. A spherically symmetric solution is anisotropic.

Isoptropic, non-static solutions include all the FLRW solutions except where cosmological constant exactly balances the expansion.

The spherically symmetric non-static vacuum solution is unique (without cosmological constant, at least). It is the interior of an eternal Schwarzschild BH. The Ricci tensor is identically zero because it is vacuum. For non-vacuum solutions, you will, indeed get an (r,t) Ricci term (given normal meaning of such coordinates). This should be the only non diagonal term [ noting (r,t) obviously = (t,r) term].

PAllen said:
A spherically symmetric solution is anisotropic.

This is not quite correct. FRW spacetime is spherically symmetric and also isotropic. The key is that FRW spacetime is spherically symmetric about every point. A spacetime like Schwarzschild spacetime, which is not isotropic, is not.

More technically: "spherically symmetric" means there is a 3-parameter family of spacelike Killing vector fields with the commutation relations of SO(3). But that does not preclude there being more than one such family. In FRW spacetime, there is an infinite number of such families (one centered on each spatial point--and to be really technical, there is such an infinite family in each spacelike hypersurface, instead of just one as there is in Schwarzschild spacetime).

Leonardo Machado said:
I'm getting it, but not sure if it is right.

Can you post your actual math?

PeterDonis said:
Can you post your actual math?
Is there some reason you want this? For non-vacuum case, the existence of this term is well known.

PAllen said:
Is there some reason you want this?

I'm interested in how the "non-static" assumption is formulated.

PeterDonis said:
I'm interested in how the "non-static" assumption is formulated.
You just use a metric ansatz with angular coordinates, and two unknown functions of r and t. Different formulations of the ansatz lead to different styles of coordinates. In all such set ups, you find the Ricci tensor is diagonal except for the r,t components. One reference for this is chapter 7, section 3, of Synge's book.

PAllen said:
You just use a metric ansatz with angular coordinates, and two unknown functions of r and t.

Are you referring to equations (70) and (71) of Synge? The first is a general ansatz with three unknown functions, and the second gives different specializations that determine one of the functions in terms of the other two.

Yes, that's the way Birkhoff's theorem is proven, i.e., you make a ansatz for a spherically symmetric solution of the free Einstein equation. Then you'll get out that in fact the metric components are necessarily time-independent, i.e., any spherically symmetric solution of the vacuum Einstein equation is static.

PeterDonis said:
Are you referring to equations (70) and (71) of Synge? The first is a general ansatz with three unknown functions, and the second gives different specializations that determine one of the functions in terms of the other two.
Yes. Or, as is done earlier in that chapter, simpler forms of the ansatz for different coordinate styles are given. Those equations (70, 71) use a most general form to derive universal results.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, that's the way Birkhoff's theorem is proven, i.e., you make a ansatz for a spherically symmetric solution of the free Einstein equation. Then you'll get out that in fact the metric components are necessarily time-independent, i.e., any spherically symmetric solution of the vacuum Einstein equation is static.
Note, Birkhoff really states the existence of an extra killing field. Only if it is time like do you then get staticity. Thus, the BH exterior is static, while the interior is not because dt is space like in the interior, so you have an axial extra killing field.

Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis
PAllen said:
Is there some reason you want this? For non-vacuum case, the existence of this term is well known.

I'm coursing general relativity for the first time, first contact with these strange spaces. :wink:

What does "non static" mean in the context of Einstein Field Equations?

"Non static" refers to a solution for the Einstein Field Equations that does not depend on time. In other words, the properties of the solution do not change over time. This is in contrast to a "static" solution, which does not change at all.

What does "isotropic" mean in the context of Einstein Field Equations?

"Isotropic" refers to a solution for the Einstein Field Equations that is the same in all directions. In other words, the properties of the solution do not vary depending on the direction in which they are measured. This is in contrast to an "anisotropic" solution, which does exhibit variation based on direction.

Why is finding a non static and isotropic solution for Einstein Field Equations important?

Finding a non static and isotropic solution is important because it can provide a better understanding of the behavior of the universe. It can also help to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by traditional static and isotropic solutions, such as the expansion of the universe.

What are some examples of non static and isotropic solutions for Einstein Field Equations?

Some examples of non static and isotropic solutions include the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric, which describes the evolution of the universe on a large scale, and the Kerr metric, which describes the spacetime around a rotating black hole.

How do non static and isotropic solutions for Einstein Field Equations impact our understanding of gravity?

Non static and isotropic solutions for Einstein Field Equations can help to refine our understanding of gravity by providing a more accurate description of the behavior of massive objects and their influence on the surrounding spacetime. They can also help to reconcile inconsistencies or limitations of traditional static and isotropic solutions.