Question about Schwave's cycle

• I
  • Thread starter Frank Einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, the eleven year cycle of solar activity does not affect the magnetic field of the sun and therefore, it is impossible to accurately determine the distribution of sunspots prior to 1610 when observations began. However, proxies such as 14C and 10Be can be used to calculate long-term variability of the sun. The lack of effect of the 11 year cycle on the solar magnetic field is possibly due to the fact that it only affects closed field lines, which compensate for each other. Further explanation on this topic can be found in Lean et al (1995).
Frank Einstein
Hello everybody.

After reading about solar variability in the past I have found that the eleven year cycle of solar activity doen't affect the magnetic field of the sun so it is impossible to know the distribution of sunspots previous to 1610, when the observation started.

But on the other hand, the proxies of 14C and 10Be can be used to calculate the long term variability of the sun. I don't understand the reason of the lack of effect of the 11 year cycle on the solar magnetic field. I have read that is related to the fact that this cycle only affect to closed field lines and they compensate between each other, but I don't understand much else.

Can somebody please point me to some source where this is clearly explained?

Thanks for reading.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Frank Einstein said:
After reading about solar variability in the past I have found that the eleven year cycle of solar activity doen't affect the magnetic field of the sun so it is impossible to know the distribution of sunspots previous to 1610, when the observation started.

not sure what you have been reading ?? what do you mean ... "doesn't affect " ?
the magnetic field of the spots reverses every 11 years

every 22 years there is a complete reversal of the solar magnetic field

davenn said:
not sure what you have been reading ?? what do you mean ... "doesn't affect " ?
the magnetic field of the spots reverses every 11 years

every 22 years there is a complete reversal of the solar magnetic field

I have read that the amount of sunspots can only be known until 1610, when astronomers started to record them, that's why articles such as Lean et al (1995) only show roughly 400 years of sunspots and not a longer timescale.

Anyways. Thank for your anwser.

Frank Einstein said:
I have read that the amount of sunspots can only be known until 1610, when astronomers started to record them, that's why articles such as Lean et al (1995) only show roughly 400 years of sunspots and not a longer timescale.

Anyways. Thank for your anwser.
but that didn't answer my question
you said there isn't a magnetic cycle ( well what you were reading said...)
but there is one

It sounds like you are trying to connect the long-term variations in the solar luminosity with long-term changes in the sunspot number (and you are saying "magnetic field" when you mean "sunspot number" because you know sunspots are regions of high magnetic field, but note that sunspots don't care about the direction of the field, whereas the field itself does, and what's more, sunspots only appear in the regions of highest field, they don't tell you about the average field, so you are assuming the sunspot number correlates with variations in the average field). That is indeed impossible, since we only have proxies for the solar luminosity variation, not the magnetic field variation. There would be no point in taking the correlations we have observed and extrapolate them into the past, because then you would only get out the assumptions you put in, and what purpose would that serve? Also, it's not clear why you care about the 11 year cycle at all, because it's a cycle-- the field repeats in strength and direction every 22 years, so what would that have to do with long-term changes? Whatever is causing the cycle could have nothing at all to do with long-term variations.

1. What is Schwave's cycle?

Schwave's cycle is a term used to describe the cyclical nature of human history, proposed by the German historian and philosopher, Oswald Spengler. It suggests that civilizations go through distinct phases of growth, peak, decline, and eventual collapse.

2. How does Schwave's cycle differ from other theories of history?

Schwave's cycle differs from other theories of history, such as Marxism or the concept of progress, in that it does not assume a linear progression towards a specific end goal. Instead, it sees history as a repeating pattern of rise and fall.

3. What are the stages of Schwave's cycle?

Schwave's cycle is divided into four stages: the Age of Culture, the Age of Civilization, the Age of Decay, and the Age of Death. Each stage is characterized by distinct cultural, political, and economic characteristics.

4. Can Schwave's cycle be applied to all civilizations?

Schwave's cycle is a broad theory that can be applied to many civilizations, but it is not a one-size-fits-all explanation. Some civilizations may not fit neatly into this cycle, and there are debates about the accuracy and applicability of the theory.

5. Is Schwave's cycle a deterministic theory?

Some critics argue that Schwave's cycle is a deterministic theory, meaning that it suggests that civilizations are destined to follow this pattern and cannot change their course. However, others argue that it is simply a descriptive theory and does not necessarily imply determinism.